Chapter 3- What Are You Doing Tonight

*You wake up the next morning and Bucky's letter is on the floor. You pick it up and look over it. He'd really gone, you knew he was, but this somehow made It seem even more real. He is gone and he wants you to move on and be happy.*

Y/N- How can I be happy without you Bucky *You say as you throw the letter in the box and hug his shirt. Your phone starts to ring and you see that it is Steve, you don't realize it but you instinctively smile and answer.* Hey Steve, what's up?

Steve- Hey! Umm I am just down the road from you, just finished up a support group, I wanted to know if you wanted to get some coffee?

Y/N- Yeah, I know a great park nearby that we can walk to.

Steve- Awesome! I'll be at your place in 10.

Y/N- okay, see you soon. *You hang up and you realize your face huts from smiling so much. You cover your mouth with your hand and just think. You worry your lips between your fingers as you look down in the box at Bucky's letter. A tears falls from your face and you wipe it away, you take a deep breath and sit forward.* Okay Bucky, okay. *You pick up the letter and just hold it, you look at where he wrote your name with his last name, you smile. There is a knock-on door, it's Steve* Come in! *You stand up and drop the letter to the coffee table as Steve uses his key and opens the door. Since you were in such a bad place when you moved in here, Steve and Nat have a key to your place. He walks in and shuts the door behind him. You smile*

Steve- Hey! You ready??

Y/N- To be honest? No *You give him a smile* I woke up right before you called, so I'm going to need a minute or two to get ready. *Steve looked at you, you can tell he is a little worried that you slept in till 10am.* I'm okay Steve, I promise. I just had a little emotional night after we parted ways, but I promise I'm okay. *You walk over and kiss his cheek and squeeze his hand. He nods and you disappear into your room to change and freshen up. Steve sits down and sees the box and the letter. He picks it up and sees it's from Bucky. He looks at your bedroom door and gently smiles. It's a letter he knows very well, all soldiers write a "If you're reading this" letter in case they die in battle and Bucky wrote you one. In fact Bucky wrote Steve one too and he found it in Bucky's stuff right before they left Wakanda. He told Steve to look out for you and to make sure you move on with your life. He puts the letter back down as you walk out of your room. He smiles up at you.*

Steve- You ready?? *You nod and head to the door. Steve follows and locks the door behind him. You walk down the hall and Steve just drapes his arm over your shoulder and you wrap and arm around his waist. You walk down the street and get your coffee and head to the park, you find a nice bench and just sit and enjoy the breeze. Steve looks at you and decides to ask about the letter* So, did your emotional night have to do with that box and letter from Bucky?? *He takes a sip of his coffee and you look at him, you nod and then look away.*

Y/N- Yeah, it was a huge bombshell and I- I was caught off guard. He told me to move on. *Steve nods* He told me to find you, that you would you would need me as much as he needed me. *You look at Steve and he is staring at his cup, he looks up at you and nods.*

Steve- He's right, like always. *Steve gently smiles and looks at you.* Honestly I think if I didn't have you I would be in a dark place, looking to run away. *You take his hand and he squeezes it. He meets your gaze and you get butterflies.*

Y/N- Hey Steve? *He hums in response, you smile, that was something Bucky always did.* umm my birthday is coming up and I- I don't want to be alone and there's really no one else I'd rather be with except you and Nat. would you two-

Steve- Yes Y/N, we'd love to celebrate you. *You nod and move closer to him. Steve wraps his arm around you and rubs your shoulder. He feels a warmth spread around his chest, it feels so right with you, but his conversation with Nat sticks in his mind. He was ready to tell her how he felt and yet she just wanted to remain friends. She even encouraged him to reach out to you, to move on and be happy. He looks down at you nestled against his chest, he thinks maybe he could move on and be happy, with you.* What are you doing tonight??