06

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Some students had gathered around the campfire to both warm themselves up and toast marshmallows provided by the teachers. Riki and Jia were sat together as they waited for their marshmallows to crisp up.

"You have to rotate it Riki, it's going to burn." Jia instructs as she watches Riki keep his marshmallow in the same position .

"I know what I'm doing." Riki retorts, ignoring Jia's advice which causes her eyes to roll.

"If it burns then it's your own fault." Jia says as she rotates her own marshmallow.

"It's not going to burn, now shut up." Riki snaps as he finally rotates his marshmallow, only to reveal the other half which was black and smoky.

Jia sniggers as Riki glares at the marshmallow as if it had done him wrong. He then redirects his glare from the marshmallow and towards Jia, who only laughed harder when he looked at her.

"I did warn you." Jia says simply as she attempts to control her laughter. She rotates her marshmallow slowly, as it begins to turn light brown and crispy.

Riki, out of frustration, grabs the scorched marshmallow to take it off his stick, only to burn the end of his fingers which causes him to hiss in pain.

Jia's eyes begin to water slightly as she keeps her lips tightly pressed together and tries to hold in a laugh which was about to escape.

Riki, starting to feel competitive, grabs another marshmallow and aggressively shoves it onto the end of the stick before putting it directly into the flames of the fire.

Jia looks at him with a perplexed expression, sweating slightly both from the heat of the fire and out of nerves as Riki very angrily roasts a marshmallow.

Jia removes her perfectly roasted marshmallow, to which Riki huffs and rotates his quickly.

This time, surprisingly, he didn't burn it. It was darker than he would've wanted but he was proud of his improvement.

"Well done, you got there in the end." Jia congratulates him with a smirk on her lips, causing Riki to raise an eyebrow in response.

"You have marshmallow on your lips." Riki points out in a muffled voice as he eats his marshmallow off his stick.

Jia blushes before licking her lips in an attempt to get it off, however, Riki can't stand watching her miss the same spot constantly and leans forward closely to wipe it off with a tissue.

He removes the tissue, but doesn't move away from Jia herself. They stare at each other for a few seconds, causing Jia to blush a deeper shade of red.

"What's up guys!" Sunoo exclaims excitedly as he bounces over with Jungwon. Sunoo is clearly oblivious to what he just walked into, unlike Jungwon, who is smirking at them both.

"Hey Sunoo," Jia says warmly as she wraps her arms around the boy. Riki noticed that whilst Jia seemed to be cool and closed off around everyone, Sunoo was the only exception. Whenever she was with him, the cold exterior she had melted away.

"You guys are roasting marshmallows?" Jungwon asks as he sits next to Riki on the log.

"More liking scorching in Riki's case." Jia sniggers, looking over at Riki who glares back.

Jungwon nudges Riki as Sunoo and Jia begin to have their own conversation, causing Riki to turn and look at him with an eyebrow raised in question.

"Since when did you two get so...close?" Jungwon asks as out of curiosity.

"We're not." Riki replies bluntly, confused at where Jungwon was going with this.

"Oh, okay." Jungwon says while nodding, but Riki didn't miss the small smirk on his lips.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

The next morning, Riki finds himself waking up far earlier than he normally would. It turns out that Jay snores incredibly loudly in his sleep, loud enough to keep Riki, who would consider himself a heavy sleeper, awake.

Riki steps over Sunghoon, who was still somehow peacefully asleep, and then moves past Jay to grab a jacket. He exits the tent and is met with a fog that had settled over the mountains. The sun had just started to rise, covering the campsite in a warm orange glow.

Nobody else had woken up yet, not even the teachers, seeing as it was around 6am. He wanders past the tents and towards a bench near the viewpoint. He struggled to see due to the thick fog that had settled there overnight.

However, as he got closer, he noticed that someone else had preoccupied the bench. They had books scattered all over it, and Riki immediately realised who it was.

"What would possess you to wake up at 6am to study whilst you're on a school trip?" Riki asks as he takes a seat across from Jia.

Jia jumps, a hand coming up to her chest as she makes eye contact with the boy. "Why would you scare me like that?!"

Riki shrugs, laughing quietly as Jia glares at him.

"You didn't answer my question." He continues, pointing at the numerous books on the bench. 

"I have a test the day after we arrive back, I want to be fully prepared for it." Jia explains as she pulls the thick blanket draped across her shoulders closer around her.

"Why would you come on the trip if you're just going to stress about a test?" Riki asks as he picks up one of her books on biology and begins to flick through it.

"I didn't want to come on the trip, but Sunoo didn't have anyone else to go with so I came for him," Jia says quietly before continuing, "I didn't want him to miss out."

"I see," Riki nods as he puts her book down, "you're a good friend."

Jia smiles at him, before looking back down at her work. Riki frowns at this, and pulls her notebook towards him.

"You need to have some fun for once, forget about school for the next few days, okay?" Riki says as Jia tries to take her notebook back.

Riki holds it above his head, making it impossible for  Jia to reach.

"You're annoying." Jia huffs as she crosses her arms and shivers slightly.

"Are you cold?" Riki asks as the girl sniffles.

"No." Jia replies quickly, causing Riki to giggle softly at her bright red nose and cheeks.

"Here," Riki says as he passes her a blanket he brought with him. He stands up to lean over and wrap it around her shoulders and she looks up at him as he does so.

"Thank you." Jia says quietly as Riki sits back down. He begins to close her books and put them back into her bag, and is pleased when she doesn't protest and try to stop him.

Meanwhile, Jia watches Riki with a new found fondness she didn't have before.