➳ Chapter Five - Office Drama ✑

Começar do início

"Ms. Adams, I'm just calling to tell you that I've arranged for Jason to find you a new secretary,"

"I don't understand I already have one," she replied.

"I needed a new assistant so I offered Ms. Anderson the job," I said.

"I see, well I suppose that won't be a problem," she replied.

"Great!" I said then hung up.

Around fifteen minutes later, I was sorting out some files on my desk when I received a call from the office security.

"Mr. Heartford, sorry to disturb you sir but there seems to be a disturbance on the tenth floor," he said.

"A disturbance?" I questioned.

"Yes sir, would you like us to sort it out?" he asked.

"That won't be necessary, I'll go take a look, stand by just in case," I replied.

When I got to the tenth floor I could see that a lot of people were either standing close to or had their attention directed towards Ms. Adams office. As I got closer I began hearing her high pitched voice.

"You're my problem," Melissa said.

"What's all the commotion about?" I asked. "Well is no one going to answer my question?" I continued.

I directed my attention to Melissa. By the look on her face she was embarrassed. I looked over to Ms. Anderson and she had the same expression on her face.

"Ms. Adams care to explain?" I asked raising my eyebrow at Melissa.

"I-I just," she started mumbling.

"Do you not understand that this is a place of business, I expect a woman of your status to be better than this, I expect all employees to be professional and I will not condone such behavior," I said sternly.

"I understand sir, I apologize, I admit I was out of line," she replied.

"That you were, which is why I have to let you go," I said.

"You're firing me?" she asked dismayed.

"That's what I said didn't I?" I asked rhetorically.

And with that she stormed off. Talk about dramatic. I turned back to everyone else seeing as they were still crowded around us.

"Does anyone else have any problems? No? Then I suggest you get back to work," I said.

<<>><<>><<>><<>>

Nicole's POV:

"Get your things," Mr. Heartford said.

I started putting all the stuff from my desk into a box. When I was finished the only thing left was the office phone and computer. As we headed to the elevator I waved to my friends.

"Are you okay?" he asked once we were finally inside.

"Yeah, that was pretty insane and intense," I replied.

"I know right," he replied letting out a quick laugh.

"Can't believe you fired her," I said.

"I'm trying my hardest to maintain the status of this company, I can't have unprofessional people working for me and bring down its name," he replied.

"You're pretty passionate about your job aren't you?" I asked.

"I am, just wish my dad was around to see my hard work," he replied with a sigh.

"I'm sure he would be proud," I replied sympathizing with him. I knew a bit about loss myself.

We didn't really say anything after that. We just waited for the elevator to take us to the top floor.

"Alright, this will be your office," he said and I was a bit confused.

"I'm getting my own office?" I asked excited.

"Did I not mention that?" he said with a chuckle. "It's actually supposed to be the President's office but that we haven't filled that position yet so you can use the office for the time being," he added.

"I think if you started off with the office, I wouldn't have been hesitant," I said jokingly.

"Now you tell me," he said raising his hands in the air.

I couldn't believe I was up on the top floor joking around with my boss, who happens to be the CEO that I'm living with, yep nothing weird about that at all. Note my sarcasm.

"Okay, first order of business, after you settle in, go over to Jason's office," he started off saying.

"Uh Jason?" I asked.

"Oh right, sorry force of habit, Mr. Maxfield's office, you know what scratch that call him and tell him to find someone to replace Ms. Adams," he continued.

"Okay, is that all?" I asked.

"For today, yes," he replied.

There were only four doors, including mine, which was kind of a waste of the top floor in my opinion. But I guess Mr. Heartford liked a bit of privacy.

I walked into my new office and put my box on the floor next to my desk. The office pretty big but also a bit bland, but then again I never had an office. It would probably look a lot nicer once I did a bit of redecorating.

"Hello," Mr. Maxfield answered.

"Mr. Maxfield, I-" I started before he interrupted me.

"Let me stop you right there, my dad is Mr. Maxfield, please call me Jason," he said.

"Okay, I was just calling to tell you, Mr. Heartford would like you to find a replacement for Ms. Adams," I said.

"I'm already on it," he replied.

That was fast!

"Well I've learned to stay ahead of the game," he said.

Did I said that out loud?

"Yes as a matter of fact you did," he replied.

"I'm going to stop talking now," I said hold my hand over my face.

"Don't worry about it," he said chuckling.

Working on the top floor was definitely going to be interesting.

<<>><<>><<>><<>>

So long Melissa, I personally will not miss you. Stuffs about to go down in the next chapter.... Keep reading for more.

1390 words

Picture of Jason at the top