A Distant Call Part 5

A few days later he was riding that "mini bike" at more than 300 MPH across the desert. The "City" computer was able to retrieve the bike but little else. Once he expressed his desire to head to where the controls of that transport. He was given supplies, with only 1 modification to the bike. A speedometer in MPH.

Turns out, no helmet or goggles were not needed due to a force field the bike produced. 

A display panel on the bike showed where the controls were located, as well as the city in case he wished to return. The computer tried to warn him his efforts would fail, but Tom would not listen. 

The scenery was bleak at best, barren desert with not a sign of life anywhere. He knew without directions that he would get lost.

But after what seemed like hours he finally spotted some real mountains. Not ones created by a meteor or some other like object.

They went on for miles, and miles and miles... as far as he know they could have easily covered half the planet.

By now he was keeping an eye on the display that was suppose to show the entrance. Sooner or later it did. But now the sun was setting fast. It would only be a matter of time before he ran out of sunshine or arrived.

The latter turned out to be true, he had parked that machine only yards from the entrance. Got out of the light and into some shade by the entrance. There he sat down had some water and survival bars (a gift from the city computer). Before suddenly feeling quite tired, and between bites instantly fell a sleep.

By the time he awoke, it was pitch black outside. But there was light now coming from the entrance.

Deciding now was the best time, went right in.

But what did he walk into some Escher art?!!! That crazy one where you couldn't tell  up from down. There was literally a walkway above his head that was that way. Other he could see over the railing that were far worse. But what was really scary how far he actually was up over the bottom of all of this, to him it appeared to be 1000s of feet. 

He let his instinct guide him, he went about 4 levels down, made a couple of turns before he saw "HIM".

"Him", was in fact an orangutan hanging from some pipes just above. He almost could not believe what he was seeing, it was wearing glasses, a lab coat, and a kilt. But no shoes.

It said, "Hello", "You must be what represent the computer that runs this place", he observed.

The orangutan then let itself down, "Your very observation, I see my fellow entity had taught you to accept our form of life".

"It isn't so much that, it's just I can't deny what I have experienced coming to this world", he said.

"Good then follow me, I sense you could use some beer right now. I think you will enjoy it"

Tom then followed the orangutan to a table another level down, and sure enough a cold glass of beer was waiting. It was right, the beer was soo good. "I was hoping to talk about you about sending me home. I really don't know what I was ever brought to this desert planet in the 1st place".

As the orangutan took the other seat they said, "I think it's finally about time...

This machine and yes, this entire room is just 1 machine. Was built 1 million years ago, and yes I am aware what humans were back then. More throwing their own crap, that building any sort of tool.

The beings who created this, along with me were able to see in time. I can't really explain the process, but they wanted to pick someone who had the abilities they were looking for but would not be missed"

"What you mean, would not be missed!", Tom shouted. "I had a life, a girlfriend, family".

Then the machine his him with hard news, "You were also ready to die of a heart attack 4 days later if you stayed on Earth". Tom was in shock at the news. Even more so when the ape wave his arm and Tom saw an image of his own death. "Are you sure this isn't fake", he wondered. "No, it's the truth, the tubers you ate since your arrival actually cured what problems you did have. Including the high blood pressure and cholesterol your doctor warned you about. You were destined to die, but instead of that you are here to correct a wrong. The beings who created me are 100% responsible for". 

"Which is?"

"The deaths of The City's Machine people. It was that symbol we left behind that not only brought them to this world, but caused others to kill them. We hoped for enlightenment, but we only brought death"

Noting he beer was gone, "Want another glass"

"OK, sure. But what am I suppose to do?!!!"

"I am not asking you to find anything, or do anything crazy all I am asking for you to do. All you need to do is stand on the symbol, but you must be alive to do it. Beyond that everything will be revealed to you and will be 100% safe".