A Distant Call Part 3

It has been roughly 4 weeks since he had found the 3rd key. So far 9 circuit boards found, and he lost roughly 15 pounds, and had enough strength and stamina to make his way finally to the top of the tallest building, for him 10 stories which was pretty amazing.

He had hoped making it up so high that he could get a better view on his current situation. Back at his old life he was known for his fine suits, and his intelligence. But instead he pondered how far he could take his belt in, even with his knife making new holes. It was clearly obvious that in a few short months, his pants would be like a tent, so would his shirt. Meanwhile his once highly polished shoes, are so scratched up from climbing over all this rubble as it covered literally everything.  He gave his shoes maybe 6 months before they start to fall apart and eventually left with nothing.

He also knew that there was more circuit boards out there... not to forget keys. 

One theory he had was that those creatures would avoid this opposite side to where those caves were. Simply because according to Key #3 and the Map there was zero places to get food and water. Which was a more than likely place to find Ahmar's ship. He said in a previous message that his ship crash landing. He had been around more than once, and not a sign. But It had to be in this city.

But yet the more he pondered, the more he felt like that this one spot was calling him. It was near to the opposite wall. 

He just kept on looking and looking... then he found it by accident. It was at least 3 or 4 day journey. Even though it was risky at best he knew he had to go there. Ahmar had mentioned in one of their messages that there ship lost power. Maybe it was still in good enough shape that he could do something with it. 

So the next day as early as he could he took as much tubers and water that he could carry and departed on this crazy journey for something that might be there.

By now Tom had become use to those rat creatures. Enough so he could easily hide from one. Ahmar was right, he missed meat, especially bacon. But since that wasn't, cooked meat from those creatures seemed like the next best thing. But how to kill one of those creatures, wasn't easy. The only time up to now was clearly a case of self defense, even then he had to push it off of a building or slam a hunk of stone.  Also there was the danger of making too much noise. It drove those creatures directly to him, even if he found the burner Ahmar had been talking about, how would he even slaughter it, without getting killed in the process.

Making his way to opposite side of the creator, meant fewer and fewer rat creatures he saw, which frankly was a relief. One exception though, he did find the skeleton of one on his 3rd day.

The more he traveled, the more this shirt was too damn hot. He put it in his bag, rather than tossing it. 

Sleeping in a destroyed building was the total opposite of something he always fought. That was being homeless.

He was a guy that worked all of his adult life, after getting what he thought was a good education. Only to wind up here, possibly walking around naked when his clothes were just too big for him.

His parents were good, although he had to be savvy about grants and loans. But he did graduate at the top of his class with a tiny amount to payback in the way of loans.

He could see that working odd shifts and extended hours did effect the way he ate. 

Which caused him to feel really dumb when his doctor told him that he was eating his way to a casket. That's how his parents died and his sister, she died at 38, and she was even bigger than he was.

When he worked, he worked, rarely taking days off. That and coming from a heavy set family was more likely the reason he was like his is.

Maybe Karma was lending a hand, but that was dumb, as he thought about reasons why he was here.

He didn't know why he was taken from Earth.

In the time he had been here, that was the one thing he was certain of. That he was on another planet. The stars in the sky upon this world was far different than on his own world. He knew that you didn't have to be an expert in astronomy to know what they stars are suppose to look like.

As sunset now neared he made his way to the top floor of the closest building  and there he took care of his needs and when it was dark, he laid down on the bare floor and fell asleep.

The next morning found himself on the move again.

With just over half he food gone, he found it. It was more destruction than an actual path. It was easy to see when Ahmar's ship lost power. It had plowed into the city it took out walls, ceilings and floors, sometimes even whole buildings.

It was hard sometimes to even find a clear path around it. To him it looked more like the result of a building implosion. Rubble was everywhere stories high.

Eventually near the end of that day he found the ship. It was cigar shaped and roughly 20 feet long. 

One more thing it was broken like a egg shell. Pieces of it everywhere, from the destruction it  amazed him that anyone survived.

Finding the pilot's seat was easy, someone (maybe Ahmar) had cleared a pathway to it. Upon the seat was The Burner. Which looked like 2 hub caps welded together, on top of that another key. Meanwhile scattered about was roughly 9 circuit boards, but the more he looked he found close 20.

As for the ship's control panels, all of them smashed, nothing was salvable. But when he looked in the back of the ship. There was this metal frame, from the size and shape it reminded him of brace for a mini bike. Having one would make his life easier.  As he wondered why, someone would put such a thing in this ship and not making it available. Just really didn't make any sense.

But night was falling, and in the morning he had to return. Right now he barely had enough food and water for the return journey. It would be tight, but he knew he could make it.

Oh! Just then he noticed one thing in the rubble, it looked like a spear. With a blade that more looked like a fancy piece of art rather than a weapon. 

It was when he played with it as he went to find a spot to sleep. That he discovered that this spear was an energy weapon. One controlled by his own thoughts, lightly focused could move a rock. Build up his rage, (which was all to easy) could punch a hole in one of these walls.

He had his weapon.

Once he returned to his safe hiding spot all be wanted to do is drink and cool off.

But he was curious what would the key reveal.

So after he placed it in the slot, like usual the image of Ahmar would appear.

"I am so happy you went to my ship, where you discovered all my presents. The circuit boards, the key, I hope you don't have a have a hard time assembling the spear. I left you a drawing showing you how. Then my biggest present of them all, I hope you didn't have problems with the controls. They are fairly easy, now that..."

The image suddenly froze

"No, that isn't suppose to happen" Ahmar then turned in the direction of Tom and said, "I'll get back you in 3 days. Something went horribly wrong here".

With that the image shut off

Turns out he was right, possibly a vehicle... we will see in 3 days.