Chapter 19

Not only did I not come up with any productive thoughts last night, but I got no sleep. Even after the lights went off and I had curled up in bed, I couldn't shut my brain off. You would think that would be because I was connecting the dots, making realizations, but no. Every possible explanation I came up with ended in a dead end.

As soon as the lights turned on this morning, I was up. It is better that I stay alert and aware of my surroundings in this situation. When you start to get comfortable that is when you start to make mistakes.

Out of curiosity, I take a look inside the closet. Much to my surprise the wooden wardrobe is filled. I quickly close the door and pinch my nose to try to ward off the smell of rust.

Slowing my increasing heart rate, I open the door again. Greeting me is clothing of all different sizes. Some made for children, others for full grown adults. All covered in red crimson. Blood.

I guess this room is meant to hold more than just people. It is also meant to hold the laundry. I don't have time to close the closet again when my chamber's door is opened.

"Ahh, I see you found the laundry. Don't worry, Dahlia, should be coming to pick it up this afternoon." He still looks the same, but oh so different. Still the same boy that asked the dumb questions in health class.

"Jason, what do you want?" I closed the door to the closet, not needing the reminder of how dangerous these people might be in my peripheral.

"I brought you a change of clothes." He looks me up and down, unlike Kane, he looks a whole lot sleazier doing it. "Or should I say another one?" He's right, these aren't my clothes. They are his. At that thought, I put out my hands ready to get his clothes off my body.

"You know that is not what I really meant." He hands me a matching sweatsuit. So, they couldn't have a white van, but they could have uniforms for their prisoners? Could they get any more confusing?

"I have do idea what you mean. Would you like to spell it out for me?" He stands there, offering me no privacy whatsoever. Clearly, I am going to need to do some spell out for him, but not the kind I originally intended to do.

"If you don't mind, I need to get changed." I point to the still open door.

"Nope, I don't mind at all." He moves to sit down on the bed, when someone clears their voice in the hallway. The throat clearing gets Jason's attention and if his scowl is any indication, he isn't too happy about it. He is probably just upset that some guard has ruined his messed up idea of fun.

"Someone will be back in a couple of minutes to grab you." He slams the door on his way out.

______

That couple minutes turns into a couple hours. A couple more hours of me staring at the wall debating all of my life choices. If only I did like any other normal girl would have, just dumped his cheating ass. I had to get some sort of one up on him. After this experience, I am vowing to just be the better person and take the high road. The high road could of course involve getting a hotter boyfriend, but let's be real you never try to downgrade when going forward in the dating world.

The only thing that I can hope for is that Daniel is also around here somewhere, so if Kane does come he can rescue both of us. Be the hero of this story. However with each passing hour, my hope for that outcome decreases exponentially.

Finally, Doug, aka my personal driver and escourter, comes and grabs me.

I try to memorize the layout of the house as I get dragged along, but unfortunately due to Doug's urgency I don't get a real chance to. I got the basics sure, where the door is, a few hallways, the main area, and where my room is in relation to them, but that an escape plan does not make.