Chapter 67-Sophie

Start from the beginning

"You guys," she giggled, "have five seconds to run." She registered a flurry of motion, and all that was left was a groaning and half conscious Elwin.

Sophie leaned down, her hands on her knees as she tried to breathe while cry-laughing. She gasped for air, wiping away the the tears. She finally stopped laughing, but a snort escaped her as she walked to Elwin.

"Need some help?" She asked, grinning.

Elwin groaned. "I have never felt more sick."

He'd probably never been sick since he was a kid, Sophie mused, as she helped him stand and limp over to the boys' tent. He crawled into the space, and pulled the blanket up to his chin.

"Call me if you need something, alright?"

"I'm sorry I ever made fun of Keefe when he came in sick to school," he muttered.

Sophie smiled. "Sleep tight."

She stepped outside, surveying the now empty camp. Well. She thought.

She jumped as a tentative voice said. "I'm sorry."

Sophie turned to Keefe, who stood with his hands clasped in front him, a sheepish expression still on his face.

"You're sorry?" She repeated. She made sure to keep her tone clear of any emotion.

He stepped forward, closer to her, and a small smile starting on his face. "I know we should have told you what we were doing, but..." he shrugged. "You were kind of busy."

Sophie shrugged.

"But..." he slipped his hand into his pocket holding out one of the rings. Sophie held out her hand, and he slipped it onto her ring finger on her right hand. "I promised."

"You promised what?" She asked, voice soft.

Keefe looked at her, face serious. "I promised, Foster, that your parents would be fine. You know those extra rings I know you've seen me tucking into my pockets? Dex gave them to your parents?"

Sophie gaped at him. "You saw my parents?"

"And Alina. And Foxfire. And the Foster Center, though I'm sure you guessed that."

She decided to ignore the Alina part. She'd... get to that later.

Sophie arched an eyebrow. "How long have you two been planning to leave me here—as soon as I disappear—while you off and save the world?"

Keefe let out a nervous laugh. "It was kinda a spur of the moment plan."

"Yeah?" She glanced down at his feet. "Well I guess your one boot makes sense then."

"Yeah, Elwin stole it."

"Your boot?"

He nodded solemnly.

"Was it not tied?" It would be hard to pull off a boot that was laced up and tied tightly, and even if Elwin had managed that, he would have pulled off Keefe's foot with it.

Keefe rubbed the back of his neck. "Weeeeeeell. I may or may not have pulled the lace out to unlock a cell."

Sophie stared at him. She decided to ignore the cell part, and focus on why her kinda dumb boyfriend thought he'd be able to unlock a cell with a shoelace. But then again, he was here so... "Well. I guess if it worked..."

"Oh it didn't," Keefe said. "The cell was kind of unlocked..." he trailed off as he said it, voice getting quieter with each word.

Sophie stared at him again, and hastily, he said, "That's not really important though! What is important—"

"You didn't check to see if it was unlocked in the first place?" She asked, a smile beginning to crop up.

"I didn't think they'd be stupid enough to leave it unlocked!" Keefe protested.

Sophie shook her head slowly, the grin full. "Keefe, I love you, but sometimes you're an idiot."

He snorted, lips curving in the corner. He curved his arm around her waist and pulled her into him. "I'm going to ignore the idiot part," he said softly, eyes trained on her lips.

"I think it's a very astute observation," Sophie murmured just before he pressed his lips to her. She leaned up on her tiptoes, eyes closing as his free hand cupped her cheek.

They pulled apart, and she gave him a shy smile. "You're my idiot though."

He kissed the tip of her nose. "I love you too by the way."

Updated: 3-16-2022

A/N: look. I have to address this every time I stay off of Wattpad for a while, and I hate doing this. I'm busy. I don't update for months at a time sometimes, okay? So stop telling me to update. Asking is fine, but I'm not going to write more because some readers are pressuring me to, and I hate getting notifications that are telling me something that I'm already trying to do. So please stop, because I don't want to lose all love for writing and posting it on her because so many are putting pressure on me.

I know a ton of you have been super understanding on the other hand, and thank you for understanding. I'll try to have the next chapter up on this Sunday, but my birthday is tomorrow, so I'm not sure if I'll have time to write. Spring break is next week for me, so maybe I'll write some then, but I'm going to focus on resting mostly, so then, maybe not.