Sleep-Walking Sequel: 3 of 6

Six days had passed since Remus had learned of Virgil's secrets. Deep in his mind, he knew his friend had meant well, but it infuriated him that the others couldn't seem to understand that Remus wasn't just the ignorant comic relief. That wasn't their worst offense in his eyes, but there was no point in bringing any of it up. They wouldn't change.

Since obtaining the copy of his notes, he had been actively ignoring and avoiding Virgil, who he knew was still taking notes. He wasn't willing to give him any more information than he had to, and staying away from him seemed the best way to go about that. More than once, Patton, or worse, Roman had come to him to try and get him to reconcile with Anxiety, but he wasn't ready to forgive him yet. Besides, he still had a point to prove and it was one that was going to take time.

There was one thing that Remus had respected thus far; in order to get his notes, he had promised not to say anything to Janus about his sleep-walking. Something about that promise just didn't sit right with him and had been eating at him for days. Of all the sides, Janus was by far his closest friend. He was the one who could tell when he was upset, he was the one he could talk to, he was the one who never - well, that didn't matter now. It bothered Remus to keep something so important from him, especially when he could use Janus's help on the matter.

After Virgil had gone to bed for the afternoon and the light-sides had busied themselves with their work, Remus finally broke. Taking the notes Anxiety had given him along with all of his own research, he stepped quietly out of his room. Glancing around to make sure he wasn't being watched, he tip-toed past Virgil's door to Janus's. Knocking lightly, he waited for it to be answered.

A moment later, Janus stood before him sporting a confused expression. "Remus?"

"Hey, Dee..." He knew the potential consequences to what he was about to do, but he needed someone to talk to who wouldn't just brush him off as ignorant or idotic. "Can I talk with you about something?"

"You're never welcome here." To someone else, the words would have hurt, but he knew what Janus really meant, especially considering he moved aside to allow Remus inside.

As he entered, the door was closed behind him, and Janus took off his gloves as if on instinct before heading further into the room. There were bags under his eyes, and something told him it came from his sleep-walking episodes, which only strengthened Remus's resolve. If Virgil was trying to help, this sure was a funny way of showing it.

Remus still wasn't sure how Janus was going to react to what he had to say, but he wasn't going to keep this from him. Still, as much as he tried to calm his nerves, the papers fluttered within the binder he held in his shaking hands.

"What is it, Remus?" Janus held his normal reserved demeanor, but a glitter of concern quickly entered his gaze. He turned, placing his full attention at the binder and Remus's worries; a kindness few showed him. It left him to wonder if he would do the same when Virgil finally decided to approach him. "Remus, is something wrong?"

He hadn't realized he'd lost himself in thought until he was addressed for a second time. "W-Well, to start off... I've been sleep-walking, apparently." Remus took a seat on the floor next to Janus's chair, holding the binder in his lap. "Virgil knew, but he didn't say anything." He paused, ensuring his temper remained in check and to keep his voice steady in what he was about to say. "It's not just me sleep-walking either..."

As he trailed off, he could see the thoughtful look in Janus's eyes as he pondered what he'd just been told. "Sleep-walking?"

"It's basically where you walk and talk in your sleep," Janus placed a hand on his shoulder - he must have been more aware of his nervousness than he thought, "And apparently, I've been doing it."