Twenty Three

"There's no way that you could be in love with me, right?"

Ryuuzaki took a moment to answer her, making Kaori feel slightly uneasy in regards to his hesitation. As he contemplated his answer, he avoided meeting her curious gray eyes.

"I wouldn't say that there's 'no way' that I could love you." His words were slow and thought out. "But if you're asking if I love you or not: I do not love you in the way you are implying."

The girl released an uncomfortable laugh. "I knew Edward was just delusional." In order to escape the slightly awkward atmosphere, she went into the bathroom to change, bringing her cell-phone along to send a message to Lawliet.

She looked in the mirror for a moment as she watched a tear slide down her cheek. Surprised at the fact she shed a tear, she quickly rubbed it away and began to ponder as to why she felt a sense of disappointment. Her heart churned painfully at the thought of Ryuuzaki's words, and she could only consider that to be the source of her emotional pain.

But she couldn't understand why she was upset over what he said. She didn't feel the need to be bothered by it, yet she was, and the feelings squeezed her heart. Unable to dismiss the way she felt, she resorted to sending a message.

To Lawliet:

I'm a bit surprised that he did this, but Ryuuzaki did manage to comfort me in the strange way that he does things.

But I felt bothered by one of the things that Edward said about him. He told me that Ryuuzaki loved me. I thought it was ridiculous, but I still mentioned it to him anyway. In the end, he said that he didn't love me in the way that was implied...

However, I can't shake his words. For some reason, they're really troubling me to the point where I cried a bit. I know I shouldn't be bothered, but I am...

This is too confusing to me...

~Kaori

She pressed 'send' and sighed, attempting to stifle her emotions as she changed into something other than sleepwear. By the time she was done, she had already gotten a response.

To Kaori:

I'm glad that he was able to comfort you. However, I'm not sure why you would be bothered when he told you that he didn't love you unless you have feelings for him.

But of course, if that's the case, you should admit it to yourself before you try to understand what may or may not be going on between you and Ryuuzaki.

First, ask yourself: Do you love him?

~Lawliet

Kaori was taken aback by Lawliet's words, but they also allowed her to pay attention to something she hadn't taken notice to before. The gears in her mind circulated rapidly in regards to what Lawliet told her, and she was completely preoccupied with this as she left the secluded room.

She wasn't even aware when she nearly tripped over Ryuuzaki's legs, which were surprisingly on the ground, as she walked by the old couch.

She squealed, and then dared to meet the young man's intent gaze. However, as soon as she looked at him, her heart churned and she felt heat rise to her cheeks.

She quickly averted her gaze and rushed to the opposite side of the room shyly. She mumbled "sorry," but she wasn't sure if he heard it.

"What's up with you?" He asked peculiarly. "I understand that you're troubled with the happenings of yesterday, but you're acting particularly odd."