Twenty Two

Kaori slowly awoke the next morning, though her body didn't seem to want to wake up. A rhythmic, soothing movement massaging her skull and upper back lulled her as she hazily opened her gray eyes.

She blinked lazily, her vision becoming clearer each time as a figure sitting on the edge of the bed came into view.

Seeing the black hair, she gasped and avoided his touch, but when she discovered that the hair did not belong to the man who terrorized her the day before, her heartbeat calmed and she sighed deeply.

Sensing her emotional exhaustion, Ryuuzaki wrapped an arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer to him. She slumped her head on his hunched shoulder as he began to methodically rub her thumb against her skin.

"How are you doing?" He asked monotonously, yet there was a deep kindness to his words.

"Mm..." She hummed tiredly. "I guess I'm fine. I never want to see him again, though. I don't know what would happen..." She trailed, the tone in her voice rising nervously.

"You're safe now. He didn't kill you, so he doesn't seem to be able to kill you with whatever her does as Kira." He swallowed. "But because, according to you, he is Kira, we'll have to cross paths with him again sooner or later."

"Ryuuzaki, why couldn't he kill me? I mean... there's no reason for him to lie about being Kira. And he looked surprised when I didn't die, which means that he tried to kill me, right?"

Ryuuzaki chuckled softly, lightening the mood slightly. "Your deductive reasoning skills have improved." He then began to list what he knew, which contributed to his analysis of why Edward couldn't kill her. "The only thing we know about this Kira for sure is that, like the others in Japan, he needs a name and a face to kill his victims. So, unless you've been wearing a mask, he knows your face. Therefore, the only logical explanation is that he must've gotten your name wrong. I don't see how he could've spelt it incorrectly either, as 'Inoue' is a relatively common surname in Japan."

"Which means that 'Inoue' isn't actually my surname..." Kaori realized.

He hummed, affirming her conclusion. "Well, it could be that 'Kaori' isn't actually your given name, but it's more likely to be that 'Inoue' is the incorrect name."

She tried to comprehend the severe nature of this news as she talked herself through the information. "The name I have been called my entire life isn't actually my real name."

"That depends on your personal definition of a 'name.' Either way, this comes as a shock to me as well considering your mother went by the name 'Inoue.'" Ryuuzaki considered thoughtfully. "As it is defined by Kira, 'Inoue' is not your real name."

Digesting this, Kaori sighed. Not only was there someone in the same American state as them who wanted her dead as well Ryuuzaki judging by his desperateness to learn his name, she had just discovered that she was not actually someone by the name of 'Kaori Inoue.'

"We don't have to discuss this right now if you're still troubled." He offered in attempts to be kind.

But the girl shook her head. "The only reason he tried to kill me was because I couldn't tell him your real name. He thought I was lying... but clearly..." She trailed, knowing that the young man had already thought this far ahead.

"... I've never given anyone my real name." Ryuuzaki finished. "And I won't tell you until we catch this Kira." He declared. "As we just learned, if neither of us knows each other's real names, we'll be in a safer position."

"We know who Kira is, so why can't you contact the FBI or something and catch him." She sat upright, finally meeting the man's dull yet concentrated eyes.

He frowned. "While I am fully trusting in you and I believe your testimony, not everyone will. We need some proof in order to convict him."

"I see." She mumbled, disappointed by this fact.

She swung her feet off of the mattress and slid off of it, standing and preparing to officially start the day. However, a gentle tug on her wrist prevented her from doing so. She looked back, seeing Ryuuzaki look at her with concern in his wide, tired eyes.

"We know that he's targeting you in order to get information. You are not permitted to be anywhere alone until we catch him." He instructed.

This made Kaori chuckle. "That makes me sound like your property or something."

"It's just a precautionary measure. I will accompany you wherever you go. This is not negotiable." While the girl's heart had lightened since talking to Ryuuzaki, the young man was completely serious.

"I don't think I could bring myself to go anywhere alone right now, anyway." She admitted aloud.

Signifying the end of their conversation, Kaori reached for the black cell-phone sitting on the bedside table. Taking notice of the silver key charm attached to it, she was hopeful that her dear friend had responded, considering she was so desperate for comfort the previous night. And she was in luck as she flipped the handheld phone open.

To Kaori:

You have no idea how sorry I am to hear this. I wish I could make all of it go away. I wish I could hug you and make you feel better.

Despite your encounter, I am filled with relief to know that you are alive and that the Kira wasn't able to take your life. I'm not sure what I would've done if something were to happen to you.

For now, you should make sure you're always with someone you trust - possibly even Ryuuzaki considering you're not even in Japan. But you are a smart girl, so I don't think you would consider going out alone.

I'm sorry I'm not with you, but allow Ryuuzaki to comfort you in my stead. I am here to encourage you through my words, also. Between him and I, I'm sure we wouldn't let anyone get to you again.

I love you, Kaori. Continue to be strong.

~Lawliet

Feeling all of her concerns alleviate, Kaori wore a soft smile. She was so wrapped up in the words that Lawliet had told her that she was completely oblivious when Ryuuzaki leaned over her shoulder, reading the illuminated white letters.

His breath tickled her ear, and she released a startled yelp and jumped away from him. Realizing that it was just Ryuuzaki doing something that he would undoubtedly do, she placed her hand on her heart as if the action would sooth her racing heartbeat.

"Jeez, it's been a while since you've done something like that." She commented.

"Lawliet seems to be a pretty smart person." He observed, his thumb resting on his lower lip.

"Yeah, I guess so."

"Do you still love him?"

Kaori raised a brow at Ryuuzaki's question. She thought she had addressed it before coming to California, but clearly, the intuitive man was still curious. "Yes." She muttered honestly.

"I guess that's a good thing; feeling as though you have a precious family member to talk to, that is." He said in his tone-less voice.

"Well, there's a slight difference now compared to how we talked a few months ago. Now, I don't feel as though he's the only person I can trust. He's undoubtedly a very important person to me, but now, I have you, too."

Ryuuzaki blinked, a hint of shock reflecting his eyes as he heard her speak.

Kaori placed a finger to her chin thoughtfully as she recalled the events of the day before as well as some of the words Edward said. "By the way, Edward mentioned something pretty funny yesterday. It wasn't funny at the time, but now that I think about it, it's pretty laughable." She released a short laugh.

"What did he say? He's not exactly one to take seriously..."

"He said that you were in love with me." She scoffed, immediately considering that entirely unreasonable. "Isn't that just ridiculous? There's no way that you could be in love with me, right?"