Six

To Lawliet:

I'm so angry! L is a creepy, perverted loser who has no sense of privacy! Him and a new friend of mine, Misa (she's the real Misa-Misa, believe it or not), made me laugh.  In fact, what he said was really hilarious.  I was starting to think that maybe he wasn't as bad as I thought.

But then, he took a picture of me, without my consent. I mean, I know people do that kind of thing as a joke, but he was so determined to actually keep it! I told him to delete it, but he wouldn't! Isn't that some kind of crime?!

I'm just disgusted and freaked out! I can't stand him!

~Kaori

She typed angrily as she curled up against the backboard of her bed.  Her knees were pulled up to her chest and she clutched one of the white pillows.

She groaned irritably just as she pressed the 'send' button.  It took a moment for her to realize that she was sitting slightly similar to the way that Ryuuzaki preferred to sit, though her back was straight compared to his.

It angered her even more. She threw the pillow she held at the wall and straightened her legs.

In the midst of her angry fit, her cell-phone buzzed.  She blinked, not expecting Lawliet to reply so quickly.

To Kaori:

In this situation, I would try to be optimistic.  He made you laugh and feel happy, and anyone who makes you feel that way shouldn't be a bad person.

Also, capturing your picture and keeping it without your consent is illegal.  But you also have to consider that he is L, so I doubt it's even possible to arrest him over this.  There's no reason to be disgusted or anything.  He probably just wanted a picture of you because you're a beautiful young lady. He's just the only guy who would do something like that openly.

Well, besides me.  If, and when, I meet you, I definitely want to get a picture.  I have the ones you sent me, but it's different in person.

Don't freak out too much, it's going to be alright.

~Lawliet

Kaori earned a sense of peace as she read his message; at least, after the initial irritation at the fact that he seemed to be justifying Ryuuzaki's photo taking.

Despite this, Lawliet describing her as a "beautiful young lady" made her heart flutter.  She never thought of him in a romantic way, but compliments, especially from someone who was close to her, always made her happy.

To Lawliet:

Thank you. Not just for this, but for everything.

I love you.

~Kaori

While they didn't say it often, both Kaori and Lawliet had told each other that they love one another. Lawliet was the only person that the girl could consider family.

-----+-----

The obnoxious phone ring woke Kaori up the next morning, again. Instead of respectfully listening to the voice on the other end, she lifted the metallic black machine from it stand and yelled in a rough voice, "Go to Hell, Ryuuzaki!"

She slammed the phone back onto the stand and fell back onto the pillow.

But the phone rang again.  Without exhausting too much effort, she tried to reach for the phone, but it seemed to keep escaping her.  After a few unsuccessful seconds, she released an aggravated noise and kicked the phone from the bedside table.

Finally, the phone stopped ringing.

But it accomplished it's task of waking her up.  Because she knew that the man she didn't care much for was watching her through the many surveillance cameras in her room, there was no escaping getting to work.

When she trudged down to the tiled room with the computer wall, she was surprised that there were only two people around: Ryuuzaki, the bothersome, creepy man only a few years older than Kaori, and the older, broad man that Kaori had just learned went by the name of 'Mogi.'  Although, Mogi seemed fully enthralled in sorting through paperwork that he would be completely oblivious to the other two.

"Good morning, Kaori." Ryuuzaki said as he took a sip of his heavily sugared coffee, not bothering to look at the dark-haired girl.  "There's fresh coffee in the machine if you would like some."

Tiredly, she made her way to a counter positioned against a far wall to pour herself a mug of hot coffee.

"Now, we need to talk about that project I have you working on." He informed when she returned to his massive desk.  Her body language hinted that she was listening, but she didn't dare to look into his dull, analytical eyes. "How much longer do you think you need."

"At least two more days." Kaori said.

"Oh, really?" He seemed unsatisfied.

"Yes, really." She sighed irritably.  "I don't think you're aware of how tedious it is to create a virus advanced enough to import into someone's cell-phone without them knowing.  On top of that, it has to have distinct bugging qualities to keep someone from knowing that something is wrong with their phone and to have their information, from call logs to internet history, imported to another device altogether."

Ryuuzaki set down his white cup.

"Multiply all that by two.  Their phones are different models so I can't use the same virus." She, too, set down her coffee cup.

"I see.  Take all the time you need." 

Kaori was surprised by his calm reaction to her complaints about just how difficult it was to be a hacker.  After their relatively short conversation, silence filled the room.  The girl focused on the computer screens to try and pick up on any information she could gather from how they seemed to work.

However, Ryuuzaki soon broke the eerie air. "I've been wondering about this for a little while." He began. Slowly, he turned and pointed at the cell-phone in Kaori's hand.  "You don't seem like the kind of person who would accessorize their belongings, so why do you have that charm on your cell-phone?"

Kaori's expression softened and her lips curved into a small, sweet smile. "It's from my friend." She said honestly.

"Your 'important' person?" He concluded with a question.

But the girl nodded.  "He said that he thought of it because my hacker name, KI, sounds like the English word 'key.'"

"Are you sure there's nothing more to it?"

"Well, I've always thought it was ironic that it was a key, of all things.  He's a smart person, and he always tends to think deeply about things, so I'm almost positive that it has something more to do than just my hacker alias." 

Ryuuzaki hummed thoughtfully before he whispered, "I see."

Kaori released a deep sigh, drawing her mind back to reality and avoiding the small pleasantries of her relationship with Lawliet.  "Anyway, I should get back to that virus." 

"Right. Watari has replaced the phone in your room that you were eager to get rid of.  We'll be calling you at appropriate times to make sure you eat and that there's not a repeat of what happened yesterday."

"Why am I not surprised?" She mumbled to herself as she went up the stairs to the elevator.

Once she was in her room, she checked her cell-phone for the first time that morning. Lawliet had responded to her text from the previous night.  She was filled with happiness when she read the characters on the screen.

To Kaori:

I'm always going to be here for you. 

And I will always love you.

~Lawliet