thirty

Sunwoo was awkward the days after their kiss.

In fact, he felt so awkward about it that he never bothered to talk to her. He didn't contact her, and she felt just as confused as she did the moment it happened.

Hana sat upon the balcony in the hot summer air, her days free now that school was finished.

She drew lazily upon her sketch pad, not even sure what she was trying to do. With a sigh, she looked across the street again.

Sunwoo, on the other hand, paced his room.

He could see from the gap in the curtain that she was there - of course she was, what else would she be doing?

"Just say 'hi'," he mumbled to himself, shaking his head as he held his palm to it. "We've never said 'hi' to one another before."

It was then that realisation hit him, although he still wasn't one hundred percent convinced he should do it.

He reached for the nearest piece of paper, grabbing a marker pen.

When he opened his blind, Hana adjusted herself in her seat and fixed her hair before scolding herself for being so obnoxious. "It's just Kim Sunwoo."

She repeated that over and over, until she saw his head peak out, opening his window fully.

He held up the piece of paper, cringing at himself. "Wanna hang out?"

Hana squinted to see, before widening her eyes ever so slightly.

Conveniently, the sketch pad on her lap would finally be put to better use. "Okay, when?"

Sunwoo leaned forward, nodding once he had read it, relief washing over him. "Now."

With that, the girl chuckled as she nodded, the boy shutting his window quickly as he rushed to fix his hair.

"It's just Chun Hana," he mumbled to himself, looking at himself in the mirror. He grew more worried the more he said her name. "... Chun Hana."

She was just the girl who stood prettily in her summer dress on their street, her hands awkwardly behind her back as she waited for him to finally appear.

And when he did, it all felt strange. He waved at her, for the second time ever, before walking across the road. "What was all that about?"

"Huh?" Sunwoo hummed, pursing his lips as he approached her.

"The paper," Hana motioned with her hands. "Your handwriting is hard to read."

"As if yours is any better," he bickered, the two slowly beginning to walk together side by side. "It was just easier."

The girl looked confused. "A text would've sufficed, or a chap on my front door."

"You said if I couldn't say it," Sunwoo smiled at the thought. "To write it down, remember?"

Hana glanced over, smiling too as she remembered that day. "You remembered that?"

"You also told me to remember that day because it would be the only good thing you'd ever do for me," he chuckled, halting. "Do you still stand by that?"

For the first time since the moment she first met Changmin, the girl felt butterflies in her stomach.

Looking at him now, she thought about taking back every bad word she had said about him.

"Maybe," Hana smiled. "You'll need to prove yourself, though."

"Alright, you know I can do that," the boy joked, although he was confident. He offered his hand, the girl staring at it in confusion. It was then he was somewhat back to his old self, grabbing her hand and placing it in his own as he rolled his eyes. "I promise."

He adjusted their fingers slowly to intertwine, avoiding her eyes as he looked forward.

The two began to walk like this, awkwardly looking everywhere but one another. It felt like they were kids again, except they hated each other even as kids. "Wanna go to the cherry field?"

"You'd fit right in," Hana ruffled his red hair, letting go of his hand before smirking. "I'll race you."