twenty seven

"My baby, you look beautiful."

Hana sighed in front of the mirror, tugging at her long dress. "Not really."

"Stop that nonsense," her mother scolded, before smiling at her daughters reflection. "I'm sure your father would say the same."

The girl watched as her mother's face scrunched up. "Don't cry, please. You'll make me cry."

"Okay, okay," she smiled. "Let's get you to the dance!"

The wind hit Hana's arms harshly even through her cardigan, but it was too thin to even slightly protect her from the chilly night.

Her eyes instinctively locked on the house across the street. There was only dim lights on, but the most noticeable thing was the boy who stood against the outside wall.

Although she couldn't see, he smiled ever so slightly at the sight of her, before asking himself why.

A car passed, lighting up the two of their faces. "A hoodie isn't exactly school dance dress code."

"Neither is a big frowning face," Sunwoo retaliated. "Smile, you're off to a dance!"

A chuckle escaped the girls lips before she reminded herself not to, but she couldn't help it - it felt like the old times. "Are you not going because nobody asked you?"

"Plenty of people asked me," the red haired boy scoffed, taking his back up from against the wall when he saw her mother exit the house.

"Mr Kang doesn't count," Hana remarked. "He asked you to come because he felt sorry for you, not as your date."

"Hana, stop that!" Her mother scolded her, unlocking the car. "Hello, Sunwoo. How are you?"

"Very well, Mrs Chun," he replied politely. "Always a pleasure conversing with your daughter."

"Ah," she chuckled, opening the door. "It's that charm, isn't it?"

Hana rolled her eyes, glaring at Sunwoo although he just simply laughed. As she closed the car door and they drove away, the boy sighed to himself.

"Something like that."