Chapter 09 ㅡ Promises

You sat in the library, flipping through pages of books you weren't prying in reading. Jungkook had told you to wait for him as he had some work to take care of. You consulted the expensive watch on your wrist again. It had been only 10 minutes since he had left yet your felt like waiting for hours.

Last night was restless. You tossed and turned around for hours until you gave up on sleep and were then seated on the balcony. The fresh air bought you a sense of freedom that you had never experienced. And with that thought, the train went on and on until it reached him. Jungkook.

What were you both? You didn't know. He would call you a friend but since when did you start having friends? You clearly weren't permitted to have them. If you say that you were just returning his favor, then according to that your relationship with him was stuck in a cycle. 

He helped you, you helped him learn in return. Then again he teaches you. Now, what was it that you had to do to return it? 

It had gotten complicated. Too much for you to comprehend. But despite all that, you had discovered a new side of yours. A dimension you never knew you had. Your nature was to let go of everything that your parents told you to without reluctance and stay away from each thing that radiated bad energy. Yet here you were, already close enough with a boy to be laughing and being all giddy with him. He even had your number for God's sake. 

But you wouldn't blame yourself. You had never felt so comfortable around someone. Never found a person to who you could show your true side to and when Jungkook had approached you first for help and then conversed with you again even after knowing your disposition was too different from that of others. This had claimed him a soft corner in your heart. 

You remember the first encounter you had with him and the thoughts that had followed. You had taken him for a jerk with no morals. Believed too much in insinuations when you were one person who had suffered from the faux rumors about you. The him you know now came as a downright alien person. He hadn't judged you despite the equally spread buzzes you had in this university. 

He was the first friend you ever had. The first person who you weren't reluctant to talk to. In other ways, he had definitely untangled you from a knot of social anxiety. The cat didn't catch your tongue talking to him. And that was something memorable to you. He had become someone exceptional to you. All in a blink of an eye. 

                      ∴━━━✿━━━∴

Jungkook lumbered nervously outside the public library. He had been called to register for a part-time job as a library assistant. He had been looking for ways to help his mother financially. 

Even if his income wouldn't be much, he knew how much sense of responsibility he would acquire and how happy his mother would be to see him like this. 

He gapped down at his hands. A bunch of rings on each finger and two silver chain bracelets on each wrist. These were the only things he couldn't get rid off. He had begun dressing up like thugs after he had met a guy at a party. He was ripped. Build like a giant with tattoos, piercings, and a whole lot of silver jewelry. Jungkook had met him once and couldn't keep himself from coming back each day. He seemed to him as a good person as he had helped the young jungkook become a better person when all he did was spoil him. 

Jungkook had been fortunate to have discovered the true intentions behind that wrestler's sugar-coated words. He desired to seize advantage of Jungkook's age to use him for illegal drug shipments. He wasn't 18 at that time implying he could be let out of any punishment or penalties because of that. 

He had been the one who had persuaded Jungkook for his very first piercing and gifted him his first set of jewelry. He still remembered the look of disappointment and sadness sinking deep into his mother's features when he had walked in with hoops dangling from his ears.