chapter nineteen | toxic

LEONA MONTGOMERY

It's been about two weeks since Garrett and I talked about my mood swings, and they have definitely calmed down since then.

I'm back to plain old Leona now, that definitely isn't a bad thing though.

He has been busier than usual with hockey stuff, so we haven't been hanging out a lot.

Today, we have a nicer day outside. It's almost sixty degrees. April is approaching pretty fast so it makes sense for it to start getting warmer outside.

Garrett and I are just going on a hike up a mountain today. I need something like this.

I finish up getting dressed and pull some sneakers into my feet.

I walk into the hallway and walk up to Garrett. "I'm ready," I tell him and he smiles at me.

Did I mention that I was already at his house? No? Well, I am.

I stayed over last night because I ended up going to sleep. I am wearing some clothes that I had left in my car for a time like this if I ever needed them.

Once we pull up to the bottom of the mountain I don't see any other cars here. This is where you are supposed to park to go onto the trail, so I'm assuming that not a ton of people are here.

"Ready?" Garrett asks me and takes my hand into his. "Yup," I say and put my backpack onto my back.

Once we get to the top we are going to sit down and have lunch, and then we will come back down.

I love doing stuff like this. Just a nice and quiet day of chilling out.

We start walking up the hill, and it's not what I expected. It's not very steep, because it's a longer hike.

It's natural and has a ton of random tree beaches and roots sticking out of the ground.

I don't mind that, because it just means that people haven't messed with it. "So," Garrett, says not adding anything else onto it.

"What?" I curiously question, not knowing what he was going to say.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says something, and if you ask them what they said they'll just say never mind or something like that. It drives me crazy.

That doesn't have to do with Garrett, it just came to mind at the time.

"Evelyn finally told us when her wedding is going to be." He tells me and I smile. I haven't talked to Evelyn a lot, only that one time at her house but she seems like a cool girl.

She was also nice to me, so that's a plus. "Cool. When is it?" I curiously question him.

"It's in about two weeks," He says, kind of awkwardly. I don't know why he feels awkward about talking about his sister's wedding.

We keep walking as we talk and I trip over a tree root but catch myself before I hit the ground.

"Are you okay?" He asks and picks up my hands which did hit the ground.

"Yeah, just stumbled," I laugh and rub my hands against my pants to get the dirt off of them. "Okay," He says and looks a bit unsure.

"What we're you saying?" I ask him. I just remember we were talking about Evelyn's wedding.

"It's in Maine in two weeks and she would love for you to come. I would too," He tells me and I smile.

It's not like I have anything to do anyway. That seems fun. "I would love to," I smile at him, and he smiles back.