chapter seventeen | past

LEONA MONTGOMERY

I pull on my jeans and zip them up. Believe it or not, I miss having to be careful that I don't rip a device off my arms or stomach.

I got off the phone with my doctor's office earlier and said that tomorrow morning I can go pick up my new stuff.

I'm leaving now to go to Garrett's hockey game. I think my outfit is cute, so it's good enough. I'm going in Kayla's car with her and the baby.

It's easier to just go with her because otherwise, she would have to put the baby's car seat in my car which would take forever.

I slide into the passenger seat and Kayla is wearing a similar outfit to mine. "Twinsies," She wiggles her eyebrows at me and pulls out of her spot once I have my seatbelt on.

"Damn. Don't think I've heard anyone say that since I was in elementary school," I laugh, and so does she.

We make small talk while we pull up to the rink. "Wait, your dad is the coach of an NHL team and owns this rink, but you have never sat in this row?" She asks with a raised eyebrow.

I just shrug. I don't have a ton of interest in watching hockey anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

I pull my tea up to my lips and take a sip out of it. I think Garrett was right. I think I do have a tea problem.

"Look how cute these are," Kayla picks up the custom baby headphones to block out the noise of the arena.

I smile at a woman as she comes and sits a few seats over from us with a toddler and a kid who looks like it is about five or six.

The kid waves at us and then plops down onto a seat. "He's so hot," Kayla sighs as Garrett, Daniel, and Austin skate out onto the ice first. The game is about to start so all of the players are coming out.

"Whore," Kayla grumbles as one of the guys on the other team walks up to Austin and starts talking to him.

"I don't trust that dude," I mumble to Kayla, making her look to see that guy. Thomas.

I "met" him at Garrett's hockey game in Canada but I swear I have seen him before. "Why not?" She curiously asks and takes a sip from her beer.

He thought he knew me from somewhere too, and it's seriously annoying me that I don't know where.

"I'm kidding. I swear I know him, and he thinks he knows me too but I can't figure out where," I put a hand on my chin.

I see Garrett wave to me so a wave back to him and blow him a kiss.

"Huh. That's weird. I'm sure you will figure it out eventually," She shrugs like it's not a big deal.

It's not a big deal, but it is still annoying me. I shake my head and watch the last few people on the opposing team skate out onto the ice.

A few minutes into the game, and I know that Garrett's team is going to win. Not only are they the home team which supposedly gives them an advantage, but I know the guys are not letting themselves loose again.

Not that they should. Losing sucks. By the end of the first period, neither teams have scored a point yet. That's good and bad.

It's good that their defense is strong enough that they aren't letting any goals through but it's not good that so is the other teams.

I watch as the other team gets the puck through the defense and sends it right past the goalie and into the goal.

"Fuck," I mumble under my breath. "You're telling me," Kayla says and bounces Sabrina on her lap.