chapter four | games

GARRETT HALE

"I think Kayla decided that Leona and she are best friends," I say to Austin as Daniel, him, and I all sit on the couch.

"Probably. Half of her friends are guys on the team so she probably wants a girlfriend. It's convenient that she lives right down the street, too." Austin says.

Kayla saw 2 cop cars by her house before and wanted to know what was happening, and then she saw Leona standing over there and made us all go see it she was okay.

"Garrett would you please come play her? It's suspicious how good she is." I hear Kayla ask me.

I turn around to look at the girls, and Kayla is just suspiciously eying Leona.

I walk over to the ping pong table to the opposite side of where Leona is and pick up the paddle. "Really? Pink?" I question and switch it out for a blue one.

"Ready?" I ask Leona with a smirk. She's not going to beat me because I am simply the best.

I softly hit the ball over to her and she hits it back. This goes on for a few minutes until she misses the ball after I got it to her, and it bounced off the table.

"Okay maybe it's just me," Kayla says and Leona lets out a small giggle. It's was so fucking cute. What the fuck is wrong with me?

"You did well. Better then whenever I play against Kayla," I say to Leona, just wanting to talk to her. She just smiles at me and doesn't reply for a minute.

"Thanks," She replies, looking away. "I haven't played this in a few years," She comments, putting the paddle down onto the table.

"God, Austin!" Kayla almost yells, even though Austin was only a few feet away.

"What?" He wraps an arm around her and questions. "Leona has the cutest dog. Wait! What's her name?" She questions Leona.

"Bella. I just adopted her the other day, actually," She answers. See? We are both dog people, even better.

"She's adorable, and a chihuahua. Also, her house is amazing," Kayla continues to brag about Leona as if we also weren't in her house.

"I know, babe, we were there," He says while fixing her hair. "Whatever, I'm declaring Leona my best friend." She declares, crossing her arms over her chest.

To be fair, we all saw this coming.

"Does Leona get a say in this?" Leona asks. Fair, considering they were talking about her like she wasn't even there.

"Nah. We are best friends now. Okay, you guys can go now. Shoo. Leona and I are heading upstairs to do something." Kayla says and loops their arms together.

"Um, bye?" Leona squeaks out as they head back up the stairs. "She's hot right? Ugh, that tiny, little body would be perfect," Daniel says to me as we walk back to the couch making my head immediately whip back in his direction to glare at him.

"Don't be a whore, dude," Austin says before I can even say anything. "For real, she's not someone that you can just sleep with and then toss aside," I angrily mutter. It scares me how much I care about what he just said.

"I fucking knew it. You either want to fuck her or something because you care way more about her than if I were to say that about any other girl." Daniel says. Did I really just fall for what this idiot did?

"Or maybe I have some common decency for women?" I ask with a raised eyebrow. Or maybe you think she's cool and kind of like her.

"Whatever. How's Mama Hale?" He questions, talking about my mom. "Pretty well, actually. They say that the tumor is shrinking but I think she's honestly scared. She freaked out the other day when I went to visit her." I explain to them.