40) One For All And All For One

Start from the beginning

Taking out a bundle of cash from her purse she circled it around Aadya's head, "May god save you from all the evil eyes," her tone was blank as she prayed for Aadya's well being and gave the money to one the maid to feed the poor. 

Aadya smiled when Lavanya touched her feet with golden paste on her fingers, applying it on her legs, arms, neck and cheeks. 

Now it was time to rinse off the turmeric paste from the bride's skin. 

Aadya looked at her mother in law with a slight fear in her eyes, she moved her gaze away when Lavanya rolled her eyes at her,"Just go. It's a ritual."

"But I can take a bath by myself," Aadya tried to reason out, earning a giggle from Priya and Anokhi. She glared at the two ladies and again looked at Lavanya helplessly.

It was a tradition that the elder women in the family give bath to the bride and rinse off the haldi (turmeric paste) from her body.

 Aadya was hesitating to take a bath from other women. All this was making her feel like she was one of those empresses of the medieval period. 

"Aadya we are all ladies here. It's just a ritual, go ahead. I am here with you."

"You come with me,"Lavanya wanted to ignore the plea in Aadya's eyes but it was her day today so how could she say no to a bride and break her heart.

Soon Aadya was sitting in the circle of some women, clutching her mother in law's hand tightly. 

The mixture of roses, frangipani, jasmine and milk was cascaded down her golden skin.

She gasped slightly when the cold milk caressed down her body, making her thin yellow saree stick to her body like a second skin. 

Letting go of Lavanya's hand she swiped back her black curls from her face and closed her eyes as singing a song the elder women rinse off the haldi from her body. 

The pink and golden hue on her alabaster skin increased her gorgeousness when the pure water cascaded down to her body.

Resulting her skin to shine bright like the effulgence of the moon. 

Her hair was washed by amla, shikakai (Indian gooseberry and dry concinna)and warm water. The water droplets shone like a pearl on her raven curls as one of the ladies dried them with soft cotton cloth as another one wrapped a white makhmal, silk velvet cloth around her petite figure. 

As the ritual unfolds her hair was untangled and fragrance with incense. 

She was then given the red bridal dress which her soon to be husbands had chosen for her. 

It was in the prettiest shade of red, not too dark, not too light. 

She touched the fabric lightly remembering how insecure she was that day when she had first worn it and how simply they had snatched that insecurity from her. 

But when she pulled the sleeve on her shoulder a slight fear again resurfaced in her mind and her heart twisted in this unwanted feeling.