Chapter 22: The Background Color

Start from the beginning

"I was contacted by a family member," she tried not to cry "I had to choose between them and Knifejaw." She whimpered "I didn't even need to think about it, I can't breathe without him."

"They have a way of doing that don't they." She soothed her friend "my breakdown last night was over how I got my name."

"Oh, I heard about that."

"Xerus has been ranting...."

"No, Nyala was" she smiled "I can't repeat what she has been calling your mother all morning."

"Really?"

"Yes." Sage's voice changed a bit "oddly enough, I think it turned on Xerus to see her ranting."

"I have a question," Teal wiggled "can you move?"

"Nope, why?"

"I've got to pee..."

Sage burst out laughing as Xerus landed nearby changed form and walked over. "You heard huh" Sage asked.

"Yeah, I'm paying attention..." he gestured upwards "so is Knifejaw" he loosened Teals blanket and gave her a kiss.

"You do realize you are supposed to swaddle babies not your mate."

"Do you humans do everything backwards?" He smiled and kissed her "bathroom is right there" he pointed to a human sized doorway nearby "I'll wait here."

"Is there something I'm missing?" Teal was wondering why he was so protective.

"There is painting and cleaning and all sorts of mess in there so yes I am being a bit protective because I just don't want you hurt."

"Okay." She smiled as she stood up, "do I have to be swaddled so tightly?" She kissed him

"Maybe a little looser." He kissed her back

"Thank you," she darted off to the bathroom and was back in no time.

Xerus scooped her up and sat her down on the couch, this time in a seated position, propped up with pillows and swaddled. "This I like," she smiled and relaxed.

"Hey can I get some of that too?" Sage asked

Xerus waved at Knifejaw then turned to Sage "sure" he loosened her blanket and got her comfortable in a seated position then swaddled her back up.

"Okay, Teal is right..." she sighed "this is nice, thank you."

"You're welcome ladies." He went over to Teal and gave her a deep kiss making the viewing audience cheer "hmm, didn't know they'd respond that way." He smiled then kissed her again.

Yips came from above making Xerus pull back and glance over his shoulder "I think you are being summoned" Teal giggled

Xerus winked at her then changed form and took off. "Damn he looks good in flight." Teal sighed.

"Did you know about the promotions?"

"Yes," Teal watched as the Dragons above her relaxed and started rough housing "they were discussing what to do for Nyala who was getting overwhelmed."

"I don't blame her."

"So how did Knifejaw take getting a title."

"Are you kidding me, he is still floating."

The two got caught up in watching the controlled mayhem above them until Teals stomach started growling "Hey, don't forget to feed your little burrito down here!"

Xerus turned and looked in her direction then nodded at Knifejaw who joined him in a dive to the floor.

Sage laughed "thank you, I was wondering if we would be getting food soon."

When they landed they both changed form and exited the arena only to re-emerge each with a tray of food.

When Xerus sat down beside her and put the tray on his lap Teal realized. "You are going to feed me aren't you?"

Sage smiled at her mate as she responded to Teal "Oh just shush and enjoy the pampering."

"It's an upset pregnant mate thing" Xerus smiled.

Teal was amazed at how gentle he and Knifejaw were as they tended them.

The two men then proceeded to unwrapping them, rub their feet, legs and back. They cuddled and talked while getting massaged all over.

When Sage and Teal got up for a stretch, and go to the bathroom Knifejaw and Xerus sat on the couches chatting.

Before too long Teal and Sage climbed into their mates laps and made themselves comfortable. Xerus held her and listened as she told him more stories about her childhood before cuddling her to sleep.

When she woke up she realized he hadn't rejoined the others in flight. "You stayed?"

"Of course my love." He kissed her. "I have a surprise for you."

Teal gazed above, all was quiet, they were the last two in the flight ring. Xerus stood up, helped her up then smiled "this way."

The two headed for the large doors that the dragons usually used. When they got close, the doors flung open and Teal could see the hallway.

The hallway was painted in vivid colors all centered around the doors that were now all a bright, breathtaking teal.

Xerus wrapped his arms around her and whispered in her ear "you are no background color, you are a powerhouse that she was just afraid of..." he kissed her temple "because from the very moment you were born you were more than she could have ever become."

Teal smiled as tears streamed down her face. "You did this for me?" She giggled "you realize you have to live with this now." She laughed through happy tears "everyone has to live with this color."

"They have the same opinion that I do, Nyala and I asked everyone about it." He smiled "I'm not afraid of color." He kissed her "Not since you lit up my world."