Chapter Twelve - Cat

Cat

I'm talking to Olivia, but I am going quietly out of my mind. Alex said he'd call when he got home. I know I shouldn't bother him with my own insecurities, but even though we got back together, I feel I stand on shaky ground. Alex leaving me has left me doubtful and I hate it.

I know Olivia is trying hard not to get involved. I know she's mad at him and the last thing I want to do is give her more fuel to use against him, which is why I'm not mentioning this or meeting Tina, Alex's new Personal Assistant. Tina doesn't look much older than us. I wonder how old she really is?

No. I can't believe I'm getting jealous over someone I spent less than 5 minutes with. Alex will not leave me. I take a deep breath, but he still hasn't called. Why hasn't he called? I already checked with William, but he hasn't heard from him either. He promised he would call when he got home. I know he's got to be home by now.

If I'm going to call him, I should probably use what's left of my lunch period to talk to him. No, he's dealing with a lot. I should wait, but waiting is torture and I can feel my anxiety rising. Do I really want to chance another hospital visit over this? Definitely not. Deep breath, smile...

"Tomorrow sounds great. I, uh, I forgot my notes, so I'll have to get them before class starts. Sorry to jump out but..."

"It's okay. I'll see you back at the house tonight."

Thank, God! She's letting me go.

"Okay. See you then."

I get to the hallway and dial Alex's number. It rang once and he doesn't even give me a chance to say hello before I hear...

"Cat! I'm so sorry. I meant to call you. It's been crazy..."

My heart calms upon hearing his voice.

"You had me worried about you. William too." I can't believe I'm trying to make him feel guilty. What's wrong with me?

"I'm so sorry. It's been... today... I'm such an idiot. I can't believe I forgot..."

He doesn't sound right. "What's wrong?"

"What do you mean," he asked.

"I can hear it in your voice. Something's happened. What is it?"

I hear an exhausted sigh. "Everything is so screwed up, Cat. I don't even know where to begin to fix it all."

I can't stand this. "That's it! I'm coming. Screw waiting for this weekend. I hate being here while you're dealing with all this stuff on your own."

Then I hear a woman's voice ask, "Did you want something to drink?" Was that his mom?

"Who was that?"

"Tina," he tells me and the bitter feeling of jealousy resurfaces. I try to push it down.

"Are you at your Dad's office? Did I catch you at a bad time? Because I can go if you want?"

When did I get this insecure?

"No, I'm home."

It just came flying out of my mouth. "Home? Then what's Tina doing there?"

Alex paused a second before answering me. "Tina is going to stay with my mom when I go to see the lawyer. My mom... she's... she's not well and I can't really leave her on her own."

I feel like such an ass. Why couldn't I keep my mouth shut? He sounds hurt. "Your mom is sick? How sick?"

"The kind of sick you don't get better from."