Chapter Nine - Dillion

Dillion

Domenic pulls up a chair across from my desk at work.

"Coffee?"

"Love some."

I pour him a cup and hand it to him. Domenic is a no-fuss kind of guy, so he likes his coffee black and with no sugar.

"Did you get to a meeting?"

"Several since we last spoke. How's Lily?"

"Better. It took a couple of days before she was back to playing and having fun, but she's much better now."

Just the mention of his daughter brought a smile to his lips.

"I'm glad to hear it."

Domenic paused to take a sip before asking, "How's your sister?"

I poured my own cup of coffee and took a seat behind my desk. "Good, I guess. She's back at school. I've texted her but I haven't heard anything."

"You didn't go back with her?"

"I didn't have to. Olivia was there."

"Ah, Olivia. You'd seen her a lot while Cat was in the hospital, right?"

"If by a lot you mean passing by her while I run away to get coffee in the hospital cafeteria, then yeah I guess so."

"You haven't tried to talk to her?"

I rubbed the back of my neck. "No. I wouldn't know what to say even if I did."

"Sure, it's easier but..."

"Stop right there. This is not up for discussion."

"Okay, how's Brittany?"

I sighed. He's not going easy on me today. He wants me to face my problems but I'm not ready.

"Good. I guess she's good."

"You've been avoiding her, too?"

I tried hard not to get annoyed with Domenic asking questions he knows the answer to.

"We've talked... on the phone."

"What excuses are you using to put her off?"

He's trying to help point out the rabbit hole I've fallen in. 'Oh, what a tangled web we weave...' and all of that. Domenic leans in closer, giving me a hard stare.

"It's not right and you know it. Do you love her?"

"Olivia?"

His face splits into a knowing grin. "Don't you think it odd that she was your first choice?"

I know what he's getting at. If I don't love Brittany, why do I keep her around? I don't like examining this answer too closely as the answer is rather self-serving.

Domenic's eyebrows raise. He's waiting for a response.

"I've never stopped loving Olivia."

"But you had no access to her, before."

"I don't have access to her now. She's away at college, she has a boyfriend, and if I did choose to make a move, I'd have to tell Cat first."

"Cat doesn't know that you dated her best friend?"

"No. We kept it from her because we feared she'd be forced to choose between her brother and her best friend if things didn't work out. Neither of us wanted to put her in that position. Thinking about how things turned out, I don't regret the decision. Olivia was able to be there for her when I was not."