𝟗. 𝐬𝐚𝐟𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐮𝐬

The anxiety attack takes place shortly after we escort Ember behind the stage

The anxiety attack takes place shortly after we escort Ember behind the stage. She shakes against me as Celia gets her water. "Drink" our manager tries to hand Ember the cup as she continues to cling onto me, shakes continuing violently all over her body. I rub her arms "Ember you're okay" I whisper, muttering 'shhh' noises, in effort to comfort her. I take the cup from Celia, the water spilling around the plush carpet as Ember's anxiety continues to control her. "Drink this" I whisper, looking at her with a mixture of sadness and worry in my eyes. She finally looks up at me, her shaking continues as she nods and takes the cup, bringing it to her lips to take small sips. The door opens, Athelia runs up to us, her long legs carrying her fast as she hugs Ember , tears falling off her face as she whispers "I'm sorry. I'm sorry" into her neck. Athelia has a habit of apologising for things that aren't her fault, Ember has a habit of keeping stuff from us to spare our feelings, and I have a habit to try to make everything better, even if I hate to sacrifice my happiness to do it. These girls are my family. I'd do anything for them. I don't even realise when I start crying as I cling onto Ember, hugging her and Athelia close.
Ember whispers "I'm sorry. I should have said something. This could look so bad-" she doesn't finish, Celia interrupts her quickly "this is no one's business but yours. You wanted to keep this private and that's okay. This life is very public but you choose what other people see. This-him-it does not make you a bad person for wanting to keep this private" Ember nods, as if to convince herself. Celia touches her cheek I'm comfort "I'll go and talk to Scott" with that, her heels click as she makes the walk across the room and shuts the door behind her. Athelia brushes Ember's tears away with her hands, quiet and waiting until Ember makes the first move. She looks down at her shoes as she breaths out a sigh "he wasn't always like that. He promised he would take care of us. Me and my mom. He started hitting her when he was angry" her eyes glister with tears as she continues "I told him to stop once...he pushed me into a table and I ended up in the hospital, in need of stitches. He said he'll change, just one more chance. He never did" - tear falls down her cheek "he...he was arrested when I turned eleven. I never knew whether to be glad it was for drugs or angry it wasn't because he abused us" her voice breaks, tears flowing down her cheeks faster. I press my lips against her temple, lingering before pulling away. "You're safe" Athelia whispers "you're safe with us". Ember cries harder, clinging onto Athelia and me in comfort. We stay like this for a long while. Holding each other.

•••

Slut and Daddy issues?
Ember C.J Camden, New York's hot it girl has a secret she has kept for a while. While her daddy is in prison, we have finally discovered the reason for her frequent visits to the NBA games. One can't help but wonder whether the two topics are connected. Some say if you didn't have a male figure in your life, you will try to find it elsewhere. What about the IT girl? Is it so called "sexual freedom"that makes her act up or simply trying to find something she's been missing all those years.

"That bitch!"Athelia exclaims, throwing her phone onto the mattress beside me. Yet another magazine has published something vile and absolutely foul about Ember since the press conference aired. Athelia and I took Ember's phone, worried for her and what it might be like for her to read such nasty things said by people totally unrelated to this " people really read this shit and comment to add some excitement into their excuse of an existence." Athelia paces in front of the bed as we wait for Ember, whose taking a self care shower. We decided to skip on the after event with everyone of any importance from the sponsor company with Celia as our replacement. I find my voice "do you think it's true? That she's been...trying to replace her need for a dad..." I don't finish but as Athelia turns towards me and her eyes find mine, I know she knows the end of my sentence. Her eyes soften "yes and no. I think she's simply trying to find herself. As long as what she's doing it right for her, I will support her in anything" I smile a little "me too". The door opens, Ember walking in as she fumbles with her hair, trying to dry it with a towel. She looks at both of us before sighing "I'm fine" apparently we don't look convinced because she repeats her statement, adding more confidence into it "I really am" Ember smiles softly as us before jumping onto the bed next to me and tapping the surface so Athelia joins us. "I love you both" she says "we love you too" I say, smiling at her as I take out my phone " what about a self care evening". Athelia is never a person to refuse sitting at home, she's a home body so I does not surprise me when she literally jumps with excitement "we can do face masks! And watch movies! Make a charcuterie board!" She's practically buzzing as Ember looks at her with a worried look "Jesus Christ women" she mutters, causing me to laugh. Our dynamic is chaotic. All of us are totally different from one another but maybe that's what makes us such good friends. Family. We fill each other.

•••

NAOMI'S CAMERA ROLL

•••Athelia looks at her phone

•••
Athelia looks at her phone. Again. I snatch it out of her hand and put it near me "hey!" She says "this is self care time. No phones" she pours but I shake my head. Ember opens her eyes, still lying on the bed with her face mask, "who's bothering you" Athelia takes a sip of her drink "Parker" Ember gets up so fast as she faces Athelia fully, I am to shocked to react physically "what! Why is that jackass texting you" she takes Athelia's phone as she reads the messages from him "why is he apologising to you? What did he do" she has a murderous look on her face, always the protective one. Athelia stanches the phone from her, putting it safely on the nightstand and away from the reach "he said something stupid. Don't worry I don't care" Athelia reassured us, smiling as she grabs the remote. "What do you think do the guys" I ask "they're men. All men are horrible" Ember says "not all men. Theo is nice" I say, blushing. They both look at each other and back at home with a knowing look but don't say anything more "Theo is an expectation" Athelia says. She and Theo talked on the plane about their favourite books so it makes sense for her to say that. "I think the team is like any other. They're men. Parker is an asshole and Spencer thinks he can have anything he desires." Ember says. "It's only for a year. After, we will go back to New York. New, clean slate and forget about this" Athelia says. For some reason, it's hard to think will be the end of it.

author's note

Hi!! I would like to apologise for this update! It took so long and it's really short! Sorry! I'm swarmed with work, college and the exams. My mental health also got really bad over the past few weeks so I'm sorry! I will be updating more!
I hope you all are safe and are taking care of yourselves!
Ily <3