𝟖. 𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠

The blinding lights of the paparazzi cause my eyes to squint

The blinding lights of the paparazzi cause my eyes to squint. If it weren't for Naomi and Ember on either side of me, joining arms, I would have definitely walked into something.
"Athelia! How is the modelling agency? Any news?"
"Girls, Any comments on the campaign?"
"Are you and the Bernardi team friends?"
"Boys, how is the new F1 season?"
"Anything to look forward to?"
"Ember! Naomi! Athelia!"
The sounds blur into one as I press myself tighter against the girls. We continue walking through the paparazzi, their cameras inches from our heads and voices loud in our ears. Ember is suddenly shoved into me, causing me to lose balance. I unhook my arms from theirs, for the h fear of all of us ending up on the floor. I smack into the floor, my head hitting the concrete. I can't see anything. The blood roars in my ear as I try to catch my breath. The paparazzi start taking pictures of me on the floor as I desperately try to shield my eyes from the lights, some push into me, knocking my head with their legs. "Hey!" Someone shouts, grabbing me by my arms and pulling me upwards with little effort. I don't look up, continuing to look at my feet instead as a pair of strong arms wrap around me making me feel suddenly safer swaddled in the comforting warmth of the body that's pulling me through the crowd. "You're okay" the voice reassured me, carefully and gently guiding me to the car and into my seat.
"Oh shit"
"Are you okay?"
"Fuck"
Voice blur again but this time it's comforting. My vision comes back just in time to see Celia kneeling on the carpeted floor in front of me "don't move. Your head is bleeding". My hand flys to my head in horror, only to notice the blood is in my hairline rather than somewhere more noticeable. "Someone grabbed you. If it weren't for Parker, the damage would be more serious". I turn my head, squinting as pain shoots through it until I meet his eyes, clouded, with whatever emotion I can't tell. I truthfully wasn't even sure he had emotions. "Thank you" I mumble as he continues to stare at me. Naomi's arms wrap around me, pulling me close. Ember grabs my hands, rubbing them in comfort as Celia continues to check my injuries.

•••

"Be comforted, dear soul! There is always light behind the clouds." Taking my pink highlighter, I focus on the quote, highlighting my version of Little women. I think writing in books makes it more personal. It shows you enjoyed it and your books are loved. "What are you reading?" A voice asks behind me, a shadow falling on me, covering the perfect sun in the chilly London park. I turn, expecting someone else but to my surprise, Parker looks over me. I squint my eyes "what are you doing here" I ask. He takes a seat on the bench next to me, his arm around the back of it. "Saw you. Wanted to see how you're head was" he smirks "checking in on me?" I mockingly smile, making doe eyes at him. "I'm making sure my heroic moves don't waste on you" he says. The media has captured the moment perfectly, with him portrayed at the 'hero' that saved a 'damsel in distress'. I can save myself. I've done it before. I've been diagnosed with a concussion but that's it, I am still free and well enough to partake in the press conference happening tomorrow, a day before the first F1 race in London. Since we don't have anything else on the schedule and Ember and Naomi are doing their own things, I've decided to come out to the park to read in peace. Apparently not since the devil himself has arrived. I go back to my book, hoping that if I ignore him, he will go away. After sometime he coughs, grabbing my attention "you and your friends better not screw up the season" my eyebrows are raised as I shut my book and turn to him "excuse me?" "Girls like you and your bunch like to cause trouble" un-fucking-believable. "Well, guys like you like to ride girls for sport and trophies so I don't think you can judge. And never. Ever. Talk shit about my friends" I stare at him, wondering what happened and why he decided to help me when he's an asshole anyway and would rather leave me to die. I get up, putting my book in the tote bag "goodbye" I say, turning my back to him and walking. "Athelia-" I don't hear anymore. I continue walking as his voice carries away. This is the first time he used my name.