―twenty-four. café verve, walnut creek, ca.

◤                                 ◥
𝐈 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔
◣                                 ◢

TODAY WAS FULL OF UNEXPECTANCISES. Charlie had never imagined someone wanting to screw Coach Hedge before, in fact she hadn't even considered the idea of it to be possible. She was proven wrong on that account. But then, to be saved by someone so down bad for him that they loose their job in order to save him and his demi-gods lives? That would've have been an amazingly original thought, and Charlie was disappointed she had never had it.

''Quick!'' Mellie yelled, having just dived at their feet just as the storm spirits hit with hurricane force, blasting the floor to pieces, shredding the carpet samples and marble and linoleum into what should've been lethal projectiles, has Mellie's robes not spread out like a shield and absorbed the bunt of the impact, all five of them falling into the pit. ''Son of Zeus, do you have any power over the air?''

''A little!''

''Then help me, or you're all dead!'' Mellie grabbed his hand, and an elastic charge went through Jason's arm. He understood what she needed. They had to control their fall and head for one of the open tunnels. The storm spirits were following them down, closing in rapidly, bringing with them a cloud of deadly shrapnel.

Jason grabbed Piper's hand. ''Group hug!''

Hedge, Charlie, Leo, and Piper tried to huddle together, hanging on to Jason and Mellie as they fell.

''This is so not good!'' Leo yelled.

''Bring it on, gas bags!'' Hedge yelled up at the storm spirits. ''I'll pulverize you!''

''He's brilliant,'' Mellie sighed.

''Concentrate?'' Charlie yelled the most flabbergasted voice any of them had ever heard before. 

''Right!'' Mellie said.

The two channelled the wind so that their fall became more of a tumble into the nearest open chute. Still, they slammed into the tunnel at a painful speed and went rolling over each other and down a steep vent that was not designed for people. There was no way they could stop.

Mellie's robes billowed around her. Jason and the others clung to her desperately, and they began to slow down, but the storm spirits were screaming into the tunnel behind them.

''Can't―hold―on―long,'' Mellie warned between strained teeth. ''Stay together! When the winds hit―''

''You're doing great, Mellie,'' Hedge said. ''My own mama was an aura, you know. She couldn't have done better herself.''

''Iris-message me?'' Mellie pleaded.

Hedge winked.

''Can you guys plan your date later?'' Piper screamed. ''Look!''

Behind them, the tunnel was turning dark. Charlie could feel her ears pop as the pressure built. ''I can't hold them,'' Mellie warned. ''But I'll try to shield you, do you one more favour.''

''Thanks, Mellie,'' Jason said. ''I hope you get a new job.''

She smiled and hen dissolved, wrapping them in a warm gentle breeze. Then the real winds hit, shooting them to the sky so fast, Charlie blacked out.

Muzak played softly on hidden speakers. The carpet and walls were steel grey. Pencil cactuses grew in the corners like skeleton hands. The furniture was black leather, and every seat was taken. There were people sitting on couches, a few even took the floor, people were standing up, people staring out the windows, and even people waiting for an elevator.