Chapter 26: Down The Garbage Chute

(Third Person POV)

Jill makes her way to the kitchen. She reloads her MAG gun and readied her weapon for any sort of enemy that comes at her. But her life's not a Resident Evil game.

"I'm here Damien! Anything you wanna say to me?!" She shouts.

She gets a call off her Fazwatch.

"Expect a small visit from Tito the Turtle. He's running a bit late." Damien said.

Jill sighed and spotted a bag of Monty Mystery Mix. She came up with an idea and placed it by the trash compactor. She finds more bags of the mystery mix and places them in the compactor as well. But before she could hide, she found sixteen CD's with the numbers of 71 and 46. She plays one of them in a CD player and it plays back a recording.

"Hello Vanessa, how are you feeling today? You look a little tired. Hm. Well, it's been a while since we last spoke. How's your anxiety been? You did so well with your calming protocols when we first worked together, are you still using those? ...Yes? Okay, good. Well, now I understand there's a new issue. It came on just recently? Rather suddenly? Can you tell me about it?"

"What issue? I've been doing my job. I come in, and sit at my desk and do work."

"Yes, yes, of course you do. Your performance reviews are good. But a routine check of your online history has revealed that you spent quite a bit of time with someone in an encrypted conversation. We have transcripts and I've read them, but it's not clear what you're talking about in these conversations. I can't make sense of it. You must be getting something from these that I'm not getting, right? ...Who are you talking to in these?"

"No-one! ...Sometimes I talk with Vanny. She's in the marketing department. She's nice I guess..."

"Yes, I see Vanny here, but there's someone else."

The CD ends.

"Was... Ness going to therapy with Vanny? I need to know more." Jill said.

She plays the second CD.

"Good morning, Vanny. Isn't it a pretty day? ...No? What's the matter? ...Oh, right. Too bright. I'll pull the shades. ...Better? When the shades pulled, it feels like we're in a cubbyhole or a cave, yeah? Hm. So you're not talking to me again today. This isn't all that productive you know. Don't you think the sessions are more successful when you talk to me? You know, everyone associated with this company gets performance reviews, right? When my sessions don't get results, my reviews aren't very good. If you don't wanna talk for your own sake, how about for mine? You don't want me to get into trouble do you? I could be put on the quarter for a time-out. Yeah, you think that's funny huh?"

"That had to be Vanny..." Jill said.

Once the second CD ended, she plays the third one.

"Hi, Mason. Go ahead, sit down."

"I don't know you. What happened to...?"

"Oh, we'll get to know each other in no time. I've read through all your files, so I feel like we've been talking for weeks. I feel like I know your dad too, Michael Afton, right? Your dad's name was Micheal."