Chapter Fifty-Three

Start from the beginning

"Adie?" someone whispered. He sounded like he couldn't believe what he saw. She didn't look up. She hadn't heard the door opening. But it didn't matter.

"Adie...honey..." he whispered, crossing the room to reach her. The glass crunched under his shoes like snow. He crouched in front of her, staring at the mess she had made of herself.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, staring at the blood and beginning to shake even more. What had she done? Tears pricked his eyes.

"No, sweetheart, I'm sorry," he whispered softly, swallowing. He gently took the glass out of her hand and put it on the floor. "I am so, so sorry."

"Tony," she whispered, trembling now. She ran her fingers over the cuts. She smeared the blood over her hands. The dark red, ominous liquid dropped onto the white carpet, staining the shards of glass there and making it look like morning dew on blades of glass as the sun from the window reflected on it. "I can't...I can't feel anything."

He wrapped his arms around her tightly. She was shivering under his hold. She was too frozen to hug him back.

"I'm scared," he heard her whisper. He swallowed painfully.

"I know," he said, rubbing her back, "We're gonna get through this...We will."

—————

"Hey, it's Peter. I'm probably busy right now—coming, May! Please leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! And Mr. Wrong Number, if this is you, can you please stop calling? I haven't seen your cat, sorry. Have a good day!"

"Please leave a message after the tone."

Beep.

"I'm...I'm so sorry."

—————

JULY

"Adie?" Tony said, frantic, "Oh thank god. Oh my god."

It was well past midnight and he when Pepper and Happy had realized their teenager was missing. They had been looking for her for hours now only for the billionaire to find her alone and sitting on some random street with her knees pulled up to her chest, crying to herself.

He fell to his knees, wrapping her up into his arms in relief and kissing her head a million times over.

"I miss him," Adelaide sobbed into his shirt. The gut-wrenching sound of her crying pained him.

"Why did he have to go?" she cried, holding onto him tighter. The sound of her sobs was a raw, agonizing noise. Tony squeezed her tightly, slowly rubbing her back.

"Bring him back. Please," she begged, "I-I didn't even get to say— goodbye." A strangled noise of desperation escaped her throat. He swallowed. He couldn't see her like this. She was in pieces. Lately, he was getting frustrated with himself for not being able to do or provide anything except for the comfort of his arms.

"I-I can't live without him." She was gasping for air now, "I-I can't—" She broke down into his shoulder, sobbing and convulsing with noises of bare agony.

"I loved him, Tony," she sobbed, "I loved him so much. So, so mu–" She broke apart again, clutching his shirt in her fist like it was keeping her from completely shattering.