Chapter 6

Colten's POV.

I'm mad. Oh, am I mad. I can't believe she would actually say something like that. It makes me feel like she doesn't even remember or care about our relationship. If she wanted cheesy shit like that than that's what would've happened.

He took me to the beach and we had a picnic.

Ahh, gag me with a fucking spoon! What kind of retard is he? You don't take a girl to the beach to have a picnic, right? I mean, come on, who would want to do that?

I took her to the carnival for our first date. Does that mean nothing to her? Dammit! She's messing with my fucking head and I don't know what to do anymore.

I kick a trash bin at the same time someone opens the sliding door leading out to the backyard.

"Colten," I turn around to my mom shaking her head at me.

"What?" I spit. She's the one who fucking brought up the topic. Damn, I knew coming back here was a bad idea.

"Look, I'm sorry that I brought it up," she should be, "but your the one that left her." Thanks for reminding me mom! Ugh.

"You know if you just came out here to make me feel bad, you can't go back inside," I tell her while glaring. I know, stop being such a dick to your mom, Colten. Well guess what? Shut the fuck up.

"Hey! Don't get all snappy at me young man, I am just telling you that while you were off partying it away at college you left two important people behind. Nikki and I. Or are we not important at all? Nikki found someone who makes her happy while you could give a shit less," my eyes widen when my mother swears. She's always been the well put together woman, never swearing. "You haven't even called me, Colten! How do you think that makes me feel? My own son doesn't want to come visit or give even a damn phone call!"

"Mom-"

"Don't. You made a mistake, Colten, now you have to pay the consequences," she huffs before turning in her red high heel shoes and into the house.

I run my fingers through my hair, letting out a frustrated groan.

"Your mom seemed pretty pissed," a voice says from behind me, a few minutes later. That voice alone makes me shiver. Slowly turning on my heel I face towards Nikki. She's standing against the door frame, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Yeah," I let out a breathy chuckle. I can't believe she's actually here, standing before my eyes. Her long brown hair, with some blonde highlights. The jeans hugging her figure and curve perfectly. She's definitely grown a lot since I last saw her.

"Done staring?" she smirks slightly before coming closer to me. My breath catches in my throat at the slight swing to her hips as she takes each step. She's even more beautiful than I remember. No one could ever compare to her, ever.

"You look different," I state truthfully. She takes a seat on the metal bench overlooking the back garden.

"Yup, when you don't see someone for two years they seem to change," she states somewhat sarcastically. I can't help but bow my head in shame. Her snarky comments used to always turn me on, they still do, but at the same time they have truth and lots of meaning to them. Something I hate to hear come out of her.

I was a dick for leaving her, I didn't notice that until a month after leaving for college. I only survived the summer knowing she was just down the street, but when I left...I just lost everything I had. I resorted to alcohol and a little bit of drugs. My 3.7 in high school went down to a 3.1 in college. It's like I couldn't function without her. I still can't.