Chapter 7

She awoke with a start, heart racing and forehead sweating. She had an awful dream and couldn't believe her mind could think of more horrible things than the gallery. As her mind and heart calmed down, Alfred noticed she was awake.

He closed the book he had been reading and walked over to her. She noticed he wasn't wearing his jacket and instead, it was being used to cover her.

"Morning, how are you feeling?" He asked, looking at her still pale face with concern.

"I'm fine." She muttered and fell silent. Alfred didn't know how to comfort her. He didn't have much experience with them, but he knew when a girl said 'fine', it was the opposite.

He thought for a moment before an idea clicked. When he was upset, he always wanted comfort foods. "Hey, check that pocket there." He said, pointing to one. She slowly slid her hand inside and felt something hard covered in plastic. Pulling it out, it was a blue jolly rancher.

"You can have that." He said with a small smile. "You can eat it whenever. We'll rest here a while longer before we head out."

He got up and went back to the bookcase. A small smile grew on her lips as she eyed the candy. It was sweet of him to give it to her. She looked for her purse to put the candy in and started to panic when she couldn't find it. Her shoulders slumped in relief when she saw it on a table between the bookshelves.

Getting up, she grabbed the jacket and slung it over her elbow. Once at her purse, she gently took the rose out and placed it in the water. She hummed as the pain in her body, especially her ankle, disappeared. With a fresh rose, candy, and purse, she walked over to Alfred.

"Here you go, thank you."

Alfred took the coat and put it on. "No problemo dudette." His eyes softened and a look of guilt crossed his face. "I'm sorry about earlier." He mumbled.

She tilted her head in confusion. "Sorry about what?"

"For yelling at you. When you didn't come out of the hole right away I started to panic." He trailed off and crossed his arms over his chest, shifting his weight to lean on his left leg. "Some hero I was, too scared to go back in and see if you were ok."

She shook her head and touched his forearm. "Alfred you idiot, you have nothing to be sorry for. Besides, when you did see me you grabbed me and ran." She chuckled. "I've never had the honor of being thrown over someone's shoulder before."

Alfred's lips cracked a smile and he adjusted his glasses. "Yeah, I guess."

"You also brought me to this room and gave me your coat. And to cheer me up you gave me candy. That all sounds pretty heroic to me."

His cheeks flushed as he listened. The sound of her soft voice soothed him and made his stomach flip with glee. He always tried to be the hero, and knowing someone thought he was one brought a spark of happiness.

"Thanks (Y/N)."

"No problem, hero." She said with a wink. "Ready to head out?"

Alfred nodded and the two left the safe room. Going down a flight of stairs they stopped at a door. She heard three knocks come from the door and her lips fell into a straight line. They shared a look before mutually deciding to move on.

As they walked, she noticed what looked like a small rope maze. Inside were a couple of statues. "Should we see what happens?" She asked and Alfred looked doubtful.

"I don't know, could be a trap."

"Or it could help us."

Alfred stared at the maze debating his options. He finally sighed in defeat and followed her in. The rope behind them seemed to close and become steel, not letting them out. The moment it shut, the yellow-dressed statue came to life.