Arc 7: Royal Deceit (273)

Start from the beginning

"I am selfish?" He smiled coldly. Is that how other people see him? Selfish? The first two she mentioned were facts. He doesn't hide his true attitude and does whatever he wants. He have a lot of women but he never forced any of them to serve him, they proposed by themselves. And for the third one, it's not likely so.

"Are you not? You like bossing other people around, just like what you are doing to me. You are pressuring me for the cost of my country just to be happy by humiliating me. You are selfish." Hong Cha answered back. Nian Xiaoyuan slammed the cup down to the table which sobered her up a bit from being startled.

"The late Warlord Bai is far worse than me. Xuan, that is previously called Bai Regimen, was in the brink of collapse before I took over. The moment I usurped the throne from him, it was due to my pity to this land. I silenced those who opposed because of their own selfish interest while I implemented what is best for my citizens. Before, Bai Regimen was so neglected, poverty is everywhere! More than a year later, see how it improved? It is because of my selfless efforts Xuan is able to stand on the same foot as your prideful Tian!"

Hong Cha can't refute at all. She remained steady and her faint smile didn't fade. Nian Xiaoyuan waited for her to speak but her next words gave him a harsh blow.

"Bai improved and became Xuan? I never noticed. This place was so bland and black when I came here at the age of fourteen. It's still the same when I returned. The thing that changed was the name, the ruler never changed at all." She tittered in mockery.

Nian Xiaoyuan stood up in annoyance. He left the hall in a bad mood. Is he that bad? Is he that unscrupulous as the late Warlord Bai? Is he that unreasonable? Or, was it because Hong Cha treated this place as nothing? Maybe Tian was her home, or An, the very reason she despised Xuan.

Nian Xiaoyuan was so angry, he punched a wall after stopping his hurried steps. However, his anger got replaced quickly. He was always compared to Warlord Bai back when he was just following the old man for Se Hong's sake. But, Hong Cha compared him to Gu Zixing, someone opposite him.

From the soldier's investigation, even if Emperor Yong forced his people to forget about Gu Zixing, the citizens and soldiers are unwilling. He was deeply loved by them because of his well-known kindness, something Nian Xiaoyuan never achieved.

He came to realize if it was Gu Zixing, Hong Cha will praise the man endlessly. But when it comes to him, she despised him. It made Nian Xiaoyuan smile bitterly. Gu Zixing is such a lucky bastard, he wished he can find that man and beat him up for no reason!

Hong Cha woke up in confusion. She is in a vaguely familiar hall that has a pool and some resting spots. She saw the jug of strong spirit and the fragments of her memories last night returned in her head. Nian Xiaoyuan was angry at her but she continued insulting him. Her face paled. Did she just lose another chance of reconciling with Xuan? For a long time, she sat there contemplating, her lips pursed tightly.

Perhaps because of her confrontation and she disregarded his pride, Nian Xiaoyuan didn't show up for a couple of days. Finally, a general told her Nian Xiaoyuan's decision of returning her to Tian. The general also implied there is no place for peace treaty and after returning safely to her country, it will be the cue for Xuan to make a move.

Hong Cha went around to buy time for Tian and headed to Chang'an with the decision to report in An. If she can find Lou Ying there, it will be better. It was late at night and she had the carriage stop in front of a familiar inn. It was Gu Ying's inn where she always liked to rest whenever she heads off to An. This place reminds her a lot, which she was unable to forget at all.

A room was given to her as she rented the chamber next to hers that her servants will use. Hong Cha removed her complicated clothes and left her underwear attached. She reached for a sleeping robe when she noticed a red stain near the curtained bed. She curiously got closer and sensed blood near her. Hong Cha heard a small low laugh from the other corner of the bed hidden by the draping curtain. The next moment, she was pulled down before she can escape. A man in dark azure clothes pressed above her with a bloodstained dagger in his grasp. The blade was reluctantly close her neck.

"Warlord Xuan...?" It was out of her expectation she will meet him here, and in this sort of scene!

Nian Xiaoyuan heaved a deep breath. His hand was shaking lightly. There was a cut on his arm and a deep injury across his chest. Even though his robe was soaked with blood, he was firm on his ground and his grey eyes are as fierce as ever. Yet, when he met her round almond eyes, he found himself unable to even cast a single cut on her. Nian Xiaoyuan slowly moved the blade away. Hong Cha was a little flustered under him but there were worries in her gaze. He took one last moment to touch her porcelain cheek before fainting.

Hong Cha gently pushed him over and checked his wounds. The small one on his arm is poisoned and the wound on his chest is not too deep. He have a high chance to be saved. Hong Cha didn't think it through and left the inn. She won't dare notify her servants who are Gu Jiaoyue's spies. She bought the medicines needed and other materials. Hong Cha didn't hurry, she carefully cleaned the injuries before applying medicine and covering them with gauzes. She removed his robe when she found a scroll he kept inside.

Hong Cha looked at Nian Xiaoyuan. He was sleeping comfortably and this gave her a chance to see what is inside the scroll. She got rid of his robe but kept his trouser on him. Hong Cha sat on the bedside and unrolled the scroll. Her pupils dilated to see Gu Zixing's young image painted on it. He must be sixteen or seventeen with the details of youthful immaturity on his appearance. He smiles brightly like the glimmering stars at night and his eyes are exuding innocence and charming gentleness. She looked down to see a seal on the lower region of the scroll, it was the seal of House Gu.

She immediately closed the scroll and turned to Nian Xiaoyuan. Is he curious of Gu Zixing or he took the wrong scroll in House Gu?

Ever since the prohibition bestowed to Gu Zixing's existence, Gu Jiaoyue guarded his cousin's identity which was an agenda of completely erasing Gu Zixing's presence for the next generations. Nian Xiaoyuan infiltrated Tian and paid a huge price for gaining one painting, it can be a coincidence or his purpose, what for?

Nian Xiaoyuan awakened in the morning. He frowned to see his wounds dressed and he was in an unfamiliar room. He can vaguely remember what happened yesterday night but he can recall the exaggeration of Emperor Yong erasing this Gu Zixing. Nian Xiaoyuan was really curious of Gu Zixing and stole one painting but a lot of specialty soldiers are sent to chase after him. He was in a disadvantage and barely escaped.

The door opened which raised his vigilance. Nian Xiaoyuan's memories came back when Hong Cha entered with a tray of food. He thought of what happened yesterday and was confused.

"You could have taken my life easily." He glanced at Hong Cha and took the dagger from the bedside table. Clearly, he decided not to grant peace treaty with Tian. Why save him?

"You could have used that dagger to behead me too." Hong Cha refuted. He have the chance to silence her last night but he didn't continue and chose to be vulnerable before an enemy. "Tian is not my real home. I had lost it two years ago. If I continue living there, it will just prolong my suffering. Maybe if you end it all, I will die in satisfaction."

Nian Xiaoyuan raised his head to look at her. He really can't understand her.

"Warlord Xuan can recuperate here. When you decide to leave, it will be yours. For the meantime, accept my assistance." Hong Cha sighed inwardly. She had hurt him the last time, she must redeem herself first.

"Hey." Nian Xiaoyuan made a sound when she left his meal next to him. She turned back calmly. "If you're serious in assisting me, I might consider forgetting your last accusations. Also, I can't move, my injuries hurt."