Prologue

Falling.

That was the only feeling she felt.

Or was she... going up?

That was it.

The floor and walls felt cold to the touch, it was metal wiring that was worryingly loose. Her head was laying on it, yet it didn't stop the burning sensation in the back of her skull.

Darkness.

That was all she could see.

Her eyes were closed, to heavy to open.

She tried to breathe in, but it didn't work.

She couldn't breathe.

Her lungs were gasping for oxygen, begging to relieve some pain.

Suddenly, she shot up, he eyes snapping open and mouth agape, coughing up...water?

Where did that come from?

That was the least of her worries when she saw what was going on around her. Lights were flashing past her as she ascended from... where?

Hang on... where was she?

How did she get there?

W-Who... Who was she?

Her mind ran with various questions, but when she looked up she saw a hard looking surface rocketing towards her.

Shit.

"H-Hey...! Hey!! HEY!!! HELP ME!!" She tried to yell, her voice slightly raspy from the coughing from earlier, but still managing to get a scream out as she though she hit the ceiling... but she was fine.

Everything stopped.

Then a bright light flooded her eyes, she put her arm in front of her face to ease some of the strain. As her vision came into focus, she realised there were multiple figures above her.

She couldn't make out what they were saying, but it was along the lines of,

"Oh my god!"

"Finally!"

"It's a girl!"

"Can't wait to get on that."

The girl wanted to scold the person that said the last one, but she didn't know who said it there were so many.

Her first instinct kicked in and she shuffled back and pushed herself against the wall, only to be met with large crates and boxes.

"Alright, alright! Give her a little space, aye?" A comforting British accent said, making the voices die down.

A figure jumped down from above, making the box shake and rattle and her flinch,

"It's okay, it's okay... I'm not going to hurt you. Your safe." The voice said.

"W-Why can't I remember anything?" The girl's voice wavered.

"Your memory will come back soon, over a few days. You'll remember your name... but that's all." He reassured.

"Who are you? Where am I?"

"I'm Newt... and your at the glade. You've been put here like all of us, don't worry, we're all in the same boat here." He stuck out his hand for her to take.

She felt an odd sense of comfort from him... familiarity.

Did she know him from before?

She didn't know.

She trusted this feeling and took his hand,

"There you go... you can trust us. I promise." Newt lifted her up and helped her out of the box.

She took in her surroundings...

It was a large green area, full of people, trees and warmth. But it was surrounded by extremely high walls of stone.

"Yeah, I know. Their massive. But, I will explain everything in time. Let me show you around..." Newt said.

"Okay..."

As the blonde said, he explained everything to her. How the walls were actually a maze and how everyone here was put here against their will.

"So your telling me... that everyone here has been dumped here. No memory of anything before." The girl asked.

"Yes." Newt replied.

"Haven't you guys gone into the Maze?"

"Yes, we all have jobs here and going into the Maze is one of them. We call them runner's. But the catch is... it's a dangerous thing going in there." He explained, making her furrow her eyebrows.

"How so?"

Then suddenly a loud, horrifying screeching sound came from over here walls.

"That exact noise. Their called Grievers, at least, that's what we call them. Their awful creatures that can kill and turn people." He explained again.

"Let me guess... you think the only way out of here is through the Maze?" The girl said.

"Exactly. We've tried everything, climbing, digging, all of it. It doesn't work. So, we take it little by little, slowly learning to live here... now you've joined us, there is more hope in getting out." He smiled, making her smile back.

That's smile... she's seen it before.

"I'm sorry, this is gonna sound crazy... have I met you before?"

Newt gazed at you for a few seconds...

"No... I don't think so. I wouldn't remember anyway." He replied.

"Oh right..." She chuckled, making him smile wider.

"Alright then, Greenie. Let's get to work." He said, walking towards the shelters.

"Greenie? What's a Greenie?" The girl asked as she followed him.

"It what we call the new people before they remember their name." Newt says.

"My name is Y/n." She said, not realising what she said after Newt started at her for a moment.

She remembered...

"M-My name... My name is Y/n!" Y/n said in realisation. Newt looked impressed,

"Wow, that's the fastest someone's remembered. Well, nice to meet you Y/n." He said.

"Nice to meet you to, Newt."

"Now, let's meet the others."

869 words (not including this)

I know what your thinking and yes, you read the title right. This is a Thomas x reader story, I just want you to build a relationship with Newt first because... reasons 😏

Hope you keep reading!

-F