Chapter 23 - The Disappearance

Official Message from the Castle:

Castle is off limits for the next few weeks. If business with the Princess is required, please contact the head of house Meela. We at the castle are sad to have had to resort to this but we will try our best to make do with our situation. 

- Hyrule Castle 

(Zelda POV)

*Before disappearance*

I feel numb. Nothing I do amounts to anything. I dedicated my whole god damn childhood to unlocking this god forsaken power. All to find it  have to lock it away because some stupid Lurelin girl walked out of a shrine and shot light out of her palms. I fought Ganon for 100 years. I fought for my sanity for every person to have graced Hyrule. 

This is my treatment.

And in no way do I deserve this.

I'm curled up on the floor of my bedroom. My face tearstained and my mouth dry. I gasp for breath amidst all the sniffling and sobbing. 

My father would be so disappointed.

My mother died for nothing.

I was born to become this.

An incompetent princess.

"Zelda," A voice whispered from the other side of the door. I lay there motionless and silent. The door opens and Link appears. I look up and I've  never seen such sadness in his eyes. I start sobbing again.

I've disappointed the one person who cares about me.

He rushes down and hugs me. I'm enveloped in his warmth.

"Link, This isn't the kingdom I remember," I sob into his shoulder.

"I know, I know." He says patting me on the back.

"What did I deserve for any of this?".

"The people need a scape goat for their troubles, Instead of actually being rational you're just next best option." He says and he lifts me up and lies me on my bed. 

I sit up and lean against him.

"I can never show my face again," I mutter and he sighs and smiles.

"You can once we solve this mystery and prove your competence," He begins holding both my hands, "You will be remembered as the girl who defeated the impossible,".

I attempt a small smile. A small buzzing omits from links waist.

He pulls out his sheikah slate and a message from the head of guard is there.

"I've got to go but," He leans for small kiss on my cheek and rubs my arm,"I'll be back soon and we'll get through this,".

I nod and let him go. 

I can't survive without him.

One hour passes then two.

5 hours.

I don't want to be a nuisance. I don't want to be needy.

I let another hour pass. 

It's well past 11.

I decide to venture down to the main hall to see if anyone knows where he is.

I'm shocked to see a large gathering of Castle staff scurrying around. Frazzled and stressed. 

I'm at the top of the stairs and they all turn to see me.

Dead silence.

"Zelda, you've come out," Lenir says (One of the higher ranked guards). He says it suspiciously slowly and hesitantly.