Chapter 17 - Kaneli's Assault

(Zelda's POV)

"AHHHH," I scream as a rito flies hurriedly into our guest bedroom. 

It was the middle the night, the stars just beginning their nightly shine.

 Link wakes immediately instinctively raising an arm to swing at the nearest intruder. 

"I'm sorry to interrupt your sleep princess but Kaneli has been attacked," The Rito says hurriedly in fear. Me and Link race down the stairs throwing on our jackets. As we reached the makeshift hut where Kaneli was being nursed, the first thing that struck me was the purple liquid leaking from his wings. 

"He has two direct slices under both wings, luckily not too deep but he must've been forced down," The nurse says dabbing them.

 Kaneli was out cold writhing ever so slightly.

 He was in an absolute state. 

Both wings bent at awkward angles and his legs bruised and battered. His mouth agape with another purple liquid staining his tongue. Link looked horrified petrified to the bone. So was I. How could he be hit by another assassin so quick and none of the extra guards even spotted it. Why would the assassin come now? I guess me and Link can't head back to the castle for another few days. 

The door of the hut opens and a small Rito walks in "Zelda you've received a letter," The small Rito says handing me a crinkled envelope.

 Hmm? 

I open it slowly and my eyes widen. I start shaking.

 What on earth?

Dear Zelda

You have a beautiful kingdom. 

Really quite nice.  I know you'd hate for it to suffer anymore than it has. As you are aware several Rito have been attacked. Don't worry they'll survive but Kaneli... That's a different case. This poison will slowly attack him. Eventually, he'll, Well I'll let you imagine. 

But,

 There is an antidote.

 A cure something that'll revive that poor Kaneli. So let us talk business. Your next instruction is waiting for you at Hyrule Castle and don't even think about ignoring it.

 We have ears everywhere. 

We have assassins everywhere. 

We choose when Kaneli dies so princess I suggest you make a quick return to the castle.

signed off with a small triforce surrounded by small arrows. 

"Zelda?" Link asks as I fall to the ground in fear. 

He reads the letter and slams a fist to the ground. "Please keep me updated on Kaneli, But I fear me and Link must return to the castle," I say to the nurse and Rito soldiers surrounding us  . "What? We need you Princess here, Ritos are getting attacked back and forth," A rito soldier says angrily behind me. "I'm sorry, but there are severe matters involving these attacks that we need to deal with," I protest but the angry Rito rolls his eyes and beckons the other soldiers out.

 "Let us die Princess, Your royal blood is more important than ours," The rito yells stalking away.

 "How dare you talk to your Princess like that," Link yells angrily out the door. I grab his arm and hold him back.

 " Link we need to go back now," I say adamantly. He nods and we walk out thanking the nurse and taking one final look at Kaneli.