Chapter 8 - A Girl and an Arrow

(Nekri POV)

I had a quick walk around the lab. Purah is always by my side. I can't believe Purah was able to revert her age, she may have become a child but she's fixed it now she's looking amazing. Impa looking... There's no other way to put it. 

Old. 

She still has that same determined passion in her eyes. It's so weird, there are so many gaps in my vision. Even when I look in the mirror, the person I see isn't even familiar. 

Her waist-long black hair, her tanned skin. Her dark rich brown eyes.

 It doesn't seem familiar. Purah says she wants to take me to Lurelin Village. I don't know why but it's supposed to help my recovery. I've also been warned I have a visitor coming today. I sat down on the hill. The view from here really is beautiful. I can hear the faint laughter coming from the village. The kids running around blissfully ignorant of the fact the guardians they in fact play on tried to kill the very village they call their home. Hmmm, apparently 100 years in a shrine makes you a little bit of a cynic. 

The trotting of the horse slowly gets louder, approaching me suddenly. I turn around quickly locking eyes with a young man. Blonde, just my height. His gaze lingered on me. Something about his face seemed so... It happened again. 

A hazy light transported me somewhere else.

It's just past sundown. I and he were being careful to not be spotted. 

"Nekri, we can't be doing this," He cautioned pulling me back to narrowly miss a horse tugging a carriage along.

 "Awww, come on Link you're so boring," I whine, "Royal guard this, royal guard that,".

 He rolled his eyes a deftly dodged an oncoming horse. "Well come on then, hurry up," He mocked.

 I laugh and follow him. We leave the central village and arrive at the apple orchard. He throws me a bow and a sheath of arrows.

 "Hit that apple without hitting anything else," He points upwards at the tallest tree.

"I bet you can't," He says readying his bow and arrow.

 The apple was precariously hanging on a tall thick tree, its branches winding in and out like spikes ready to harm any intruders. I steady my breath and footing. I wait for the gentle breeze to calm down. 

I let it fly.

 My arrow glides to the apple letting it fall and I swiftly catch it all in one motion. Link shook his head.

 "You knew I was going to hit it," I laugh and he nodded and also attempted to hit an apple. He nearly got there but there were a couple of leaf casualties along the way. 

"It's ridiculous they won't recruit you as part of the royal guard," He shook his head as he muttered this. 

"You are by far the best archer in the guard,". "I know but persistence will be noticed, I'm not going to be quiet till they give me that chance," I reply slicing the apple slowly, I took a bite.

 Sweet and juicy.

 Link smiles and pulls me up.

 "It's because I'm a girl right? They still haven't given me a proper answer as to why I can't be in it. Something about it being too full. Yeah right. There are too many great knights to protect the kingdom," I roll my eyes. Link opens his mouth to protest but then shuts it. 

He knows I'm right.

 "Let's get back, early training tomorrow," He says pulling me along. 

"Hmmm, I think I have a plan..." I say and Link sighs. I'm going to be in the Royal Guard no matter what.

My eyes snap open. I'm on the ground and the man from my vision has caught me in his arms. "Link?" I say instinctively, the name felt natural to say. 

"Nekri..." He whispers hugging me tightly. I hold him close too. 

"I thought you were gone as well," He cries. I see his blue eyes tear up, his breath becoming shaky. 

"I thought I was too... But apparently sitting in a shrine for 100 years saves you," I say and his eyes widen. 

"What?" He asked, he helped me to my feet. 

"Ask Purah, I'm barely understanding the concept myself," I say laughing. I feel slightly lightheaded and I stumbled back to tech labs with Link holding me up.

"Nekri and I worked very closely together before the big fight," Purah explained as we all sat around a big table. Me, Link, Impa and Purah. "As we know Nekri was an incredibly talented archer, maybe even the best in the kingdom. So to capitalise on that talent, we made arrows that could easily defeat guardians. We didn't know that the guardians would turn on us but we made it as a precaution. Nekri wasn't meant to fight that day as something had happened..." Purah stuttered as she said her last sentence. I know she was concealing something from me but some things are better unknown. 

Blissful ignorance. 

"But she went anyway, Impa you remember me and you following her into Forrest. She was destroying guardians left and right but then we saw it. The blue blast," Purah uttered and Impa look down and clenched a fist.

 "I never forgave myself for running," She looked at me, " I couldn't bear to see you as a corpse,". 

"Well, I ran over and I heard her. The goddess herself. She warned me that if this girl perished so would Hyrule and she showed me a shrine behind the mountains just a bit after Lurelin village. The shrine was meant to house you till the goddess chose the right time for you to wake," Purah explained pointing at a map. "She chose now and I fear greatly for Hyrule," Purah conveyed. 

Impa got up, her face filled with dread. "We must ready our villages, I'll be off but..." Impa looked at me and held my hands. "I am so happy you are back, Link,  bring her to Zelda. We need to tell the Princess immediately,". Link nodded and helped me up. I hug Purah, thanking her warmly. Link showed me to his horse and we rode towards the central Hyrule. I could feel it though.

 Something was not right.