Epilogue

I walked up the front steps. Grocery bags hung awkwardly off my large belly. "Christian!" I hollered, "My arms are full!" I heard footsteps approaching, and the door opened.

"Let me help you, sweetie." Christian said taking some of the bags from my arms. He kissed my cheek, then closed the door behind me. We walked to the small kitchen, and I set all of my bags on the counter.

Once the groceries were all put away, Christian popped in a movie, and we snuggled up on the couch together. It was a nice, quiet life. I enjoyed it. My simple life.

We had a small apartment, but it was just the two of us. Money wasn't a problem, we were happy here. Christian was working for the city, and I was a therapist at the local hospital.

Mia was 7 now. She was still living with Aunt Lily. I visited her every month. She was getting so big. She was starting to look more like her father every time I saw her. I loved her all the same. She still didn't know the truth, and it secretly killed a part of me that I couldn't be her mom. Honestly, I don't think I would have been able to get where I was in my life if I had to take care of her also. She was safe and that's all that mattered.

Christian and I, well, we got married right after graduation. Everyone saw it coming. We both went, and finished college. It had been almost 7 years. It was crazy how fast the time went by.

Now the baby in my stomach was one of the many attempts of Christian and I. I had 3 miscarriages after Mia. It almost ruined our marriage. I had finally made it safely towards the end of the 3rd trimester.

Derek however went farther than we ever expected. He completely turned his life around. He got the help he needed, went through rehab, and came back a changed man. He got his doctorate, and went to Africa to help the people there. He told me before he left that it was penance for what he did to me.

That was my life now. Just Christian and I, together. And work. That was it. Easy, not stressful. I started to dose off during the movie. Halfway through, I felt a wet sensation going down my legs.

"Quinn? What's happening?" Christian asked awakening me from my stupor.

"Umm.." I replied still battling consciousness.

"Did your water just break?" He asked with urgency in his eyes.

I snapped from my sleepy state. "Oh shit."