If only I could turn back in time and tell him straight to his face that I was his mate, even under those circumstances. Maybe, just maybe, things wouldn't have been so complicated. 

Oh who was I kidding?

My ears instantly perked up at the sound of baby cries. Rushing down, I was greeted by Dar trying to console the baby in her arms. Not giving much thought to it, I went ahead to carry the newborn baby into my arms. 

"Here let me help you with it," I told her briefly before focusing on Gabriel.

He was a small little guy, smaller than most werewolves, that was probably due to the fact that his mother was a human. Nonetheless, I could tell he was a strong fighter.

Cooing at him, I supported his little head gently and started to rock him at a slow pace. I was delighted to see him smile back at me. 

"Aren't you the most adorable darling?" I cooed at him, smiling gently. 

It felt good to smile again. My hair fell from my shoulders, covering my face and little Gabriel, almost like a protective shield, shielding us from the big bad world. 

It was only when his fingers accidentally brushed my face while he swiped my hair away did I notice his presence. My body stiffened, suddenly not sure what to do.

The first thought that came into my mind was: ignore him. And that was just what I did.

Looking up, I passed little Gabriel back to his mum and smiled, "he is so cute."

"Hopefully, he won't grow up to be a heart breaker like his dad." She laughed and I joined in her laughter.

Heart breaker... like the man standing beside me... I thought bitterly. It was then that I was reminded of the promise I made to myself to speak to Dar about Daryl.

I excused myself, continuing to ignore my mate, and followed her scent to find her at the kitchen.

Dar was wearing a tight fitting dark blue dress which emphasised her curves well. However, she had a annoyed look on her face.

"Hey, what's got you in the blues?" I managed a smile as I walked towards her.

She rolled her eyes the way she always did whenever she was annoyed but remained quiet.

Before I could forget, I quickly asked her about Daryl. "Hey Dar, I was meaning to ask you about Daryl. Are you guys... close?"

immediately, her eyes lit up. "I guess we are, what do you think about him?"

"That's the thing Dar, I don't think he looks as innocent as he seems. I think you should be careful about him." 

"Why? He's really nice to me. I think I like him. And listen listen! Daryl and Darlene - it has a nice ring to it doesn't it?" Excitement was evident in her voice.

But it was as if ice coursed through my veins. What was she thinking? Didn't she know just how much Chase loved her?

"What... what about Chase? He loves you, Dar. For goodness sake, he's your mate!" My voice raising slightly.

"Daryl has nothing to do with Chase." She looked away from my face.

"It has EVERYTHING to do with him!" I told her firmly. I couldn't control my temper when it came to this matter. Dar and Chase were both my best friends. I wanted to them to be happy together, because they were meant to be together.

"Just a few days ago, Daryl came up to me and told me he liked me and tried to force himself on me." The words came flying out of my lips. "If it wasn't for Adri -"