warmth in the winter

Kim Seokjin loved his daughter. Loved her with everything he had in him, and somehow even more than that. She was quite possibly the best thing that had ever happened to him, and the only good thing in his boring life filled with sadness and despair that stretched across each day- until he made it home and his daughter seemingly made it all better. Some would argue she was even more mature than he was; somehow wiser, maybe a little smarter... and Seokjin had multiple degrees in science and psychology. She was one hell of a little girl.

Perhaps that was what drove Seokjin all the way to the mall on a Saturday, on his only day off, just to get one of her favorite donuts in the county. Kim Ji-Moon may be smart, and wise for her seven years of age, but she was still a sucker for donuts and would do almost anything for one. It had almost become their weekly routine now; driving all the way across town just to walk around the mall and grab a donut that she had been dreaming about all week long. And Seokjin would drive hours to make her happy really, but even with only seven years of age under her belt, his daughter was as understanding as she could be. Making sure he was well rested before waking him up, and agreeing to only eating sweets once a week so she didn't get cavities. Ji-Moon was his everything.

But, she was still only seven.

After Seokjin paid for two of the chocolate covered donuts- their favorite kind -he turned around with a smile as wide as the ocean stretched far and wide. One that faltered only for a moment, before being wiped clean right off his face. Ji-Moon was nowhere to be found, and his heart dropped faster than it ever had before.

He ran through the crowd, panic rising in his throat and shutting in completely. This wasn't like his daughter; she had never done anything like this before. Suddenly, Seokjin's mind started reeling. Tears almost rose in his eyes as he pushed through the crowd, screaming her name as loud as he could. "Ji-Moon! Ji-Moon!"

It was almost as if time stopped; slowed down as Seokjin's eyes finally settled on long brown hair and bright eyes filled with love and such wonder. His chest heaving as he ran up and wrapped his arms around her tightly. "How dare you run off like that!?" Tears filled his eyes as he held her close.

"I'm sorry, daddy! I was only gone for a minute, I didn't mean to worry you." Her eyes were so big, and apologetic. She never meant to worry him, he knew she didn't. He smiled as he hugged her again. "It's okay. But, you can't do that again, okay? I wouldn't know what to do without you around. Never wonder off again without taking me with you, alright?" His hand rested atop her hair as she nodded in his neck. Time rushed back to him, as he looked up and spotted a man standing with a gentle smile.

He stood up, "Hello, I'm really sorry. My daughter ran off while I was paying, and-"

The man only shook his head, "No, you're fine! She was just talking to me about you, actually. Asking me if I could paint her wonderful dad, she said." Seokjin's eyes widened as he took in the canvas behind the man, and the apron with smudges of colors across it. The realization of what the man said hit him only then, and he felt like crying all over again. Looking down at Ji-Moon with a shaky breath, before planting a kiss on her forehead. "You said that?"

The man only laughed, before kneeling down. "You're a sweetheart. Your dad is very lucky to have you! Just don't run off again. I can only imagine how scared he must have felt." Ji-moon's eyes were crescents; something that happened every time she smiled, something Seokjin was sure she had gotten from Jimin somehow.

"What's your name?"

"I'm Ji-Moon! What's your name?"

The man smiled a wide smile, before reaching out to tuck her hair behind her ear gently. "I'm Taehyung, It's nice to meet you. Your name is really pretty."