CHAPTER 4 - Friends

“You got me,” he laughed, transforming into a boy with curly hair and slightly tanned skin. This time his voice actually matched with his appearance. “I lied though. Antonio’s my brother. I’m Camilo.”

“I didn’t lie,” you shrugged, grinning, “I’m still Y/n. Cool transformation by the way.”

His brows furrowed a bit. “You’re not surprised?”

“Nope,” you shook your head, “everything is possible if you believe hard enough. Magic is one of those things.”

He stared at you with wonder while also sitting down on the grass. “You’re… interesting.”

You rolled your eyes with a smile. “I get that a lot. Not in that wording but still.”

“What do you mean?” he asked, seeming as if he’s genuinely interested. You and him both were leaning on your hands, looking at the sky.

You hummed, looking for a way to explain it. “Well, you could say I’m a bit childish for my age, leading people to calling me weird or strange or abnormal.” You knew you just met him but you had two reasons, neither of them were good but still. First - you easily trusted people. Second - he seemed genuine and different from all your other ‘friends’.

“I don’t see anything wrong with that,” he chuckled, turning to look at you.

“Neither do I,” you laughed, “but it’s not my opinion I care the most about.”

“Yeah, I get what you mean,” he nodded. Then he fell into thought as if contemplating whether to say something or not. “I used to have the same problem, actually. Due to the fact that I can shapeshift, it was difficult for me to figure out who is the real me and since I never focused on that, you could say I skipped through the ‘childhood’ phase and act like that now.”

You huffed a laugh. “That actually makes a lot of sense.”

He laughed too. “I know, right?”

You crossed your legs, not leaning back on your hands anymore. “So, Camilo.”

“Hm?” he asked, mimicking your position as he turned to you.

“I’d call you my friend now if that’s okay with you,” you said as if asking if he thinks you’re friends too.

“Of course,” he beamed. “I’d actually do the same.”

You nodded with a smile. “We’re friends then. Which means that I have to ask. What’s your favorite color?” You tried not to laugh at your own silliness of still making friends like you did back in kindergarten.

He let out a chuckle. “Yellow, obviously.”

Your eyes widened. “Me too actually. I haven’t seen another person who likes yellow since forever. It’s usually pink or purple or green or blue or something like that.”

“Same here,” he nodded.

Bam. Bam.

“What’s that?” you asked, your brows furrowing.

“Oh, it’s the church bells,” Camilo explained. Then his eyes widened and he scrambled up while shifting into you for a second and then back.

You tilted his head at him.

“Sorry,” he apologized, helping you up too by lending you a hand. “My power gets out of control when I get startled or have other extreme-ish emotions. But can you tell me the time, please?”

Your eyes also widened and you quickly fumbled with the watch around your neck. “It’s… 5:32! I’ve got to go, I’ll be late home otherwise.”

“Same here,” he said, urgency in his voice. “So, see you another time?”

“See you another time,” you nodded before bolting down the hill the opposite way than Camilo did.