CHAPTER 25 - The Damage

"Let us eat!"

Over the next few days, you fell into sort of a routine - wake up, eat the breakfast your brother and Julieta made, help clean the kitchen, read with Camilo, eat again and spend time in the living room.

Right now, it was the 6th day since the rain started and you had volunteered to clean up the kitchen after lunch. "Thank you, Y/n," Julieta said as she handed you the last plate and you put it away.

"It's nothing," you smiled.

"You go join the others, I'll finish with the last things here," she smiled back. "You've done a great job, you deserve a break," she insisted right before you were about to open your mouth to say that you would help with the rest of the things too.

You nodded a bit reluctantly but walked towards the living room anyway. On your way there, you passed a window and you didn't bother to look out, knowing it would be gray as always. But something shone into your eye and your neck almost snapped as you looked over to the window anyway.

A quiet gasp escaped your mouth as you picked up the pace and hurriedly walked to the living room. "It's over," you said, drawing everyone's attention. "The rain stopped!"

Everyone happily sprung to their feet and ran to the window to pull away the curtains and true to what you said - the clouds were starting to disappear and sun could be seen.

"Yeehaw!" Aiden cheered, jumping into the air. "I'm going outside!"

"Careful with the puddles!" your mother yelled after him. Everyone seemed to be in a cheery mood now that the storm had stopped.

You were also really happy, especially since your birthday was tomorrow and as nice as the Madrigals' were, this wasn't how you would've happily spent your birthday.

"I'm going after Aiden," you announced, turning away from the window and walking out the room. On your way to the door, you could hear Alma clapping and telling Casita to make the roof disappear, which it did so, in less than a few seconds, it was as bright as ever inside the house.

But when you opened the door outside, you saw Aiden just standing there, shoulders slumped. "What's wrong Den...ny?" you trailed off, seeing what he saw.

The storm didn't pass without causing any damage - two of the houses had lost their roofs and many of them were missing windows or doors.

Luisa and Ethan appeared beside you and saw your worried face. "You don't have to worry, we'll fix it by the end of the day," Luisa assured, patting your shoulder. "Let's get to work, everybody!"

And as if it had happened before, everyone sprung to work, somehow not devastated at all by the fact that their houses were half destroyed. "C'mon Amiga, let's go help over there," Camilo said, tugging your sleeve and waking you up from the daze of watching how well everyone in town cooperated.

"Sure,"you nodded and looked over to where he was pointing - a few people were cleaning up the glass shards from shattered windows.

No other words were spoken between the two of you as you went to help. That was until a shard cut your hand and you cursed slightly.

"Everything alright?" Camilo asked, looking up from his bucket of glass.

"Yup, just a scratch," you assured. Honestly, you didn't think you were lying - your pain tolerance was pretty high and you weren't the type of person to worry about little blood or pain here and there. Why? You were the eldest child in your family, there was no room for stupid little things like that.

"Are you sure?" he asked, standing up, ready to walk over to you.

"Yeah, just cut my hand with glass. Don't worry though, I'm certain nothing got in the wound," you smiled before going back to work but not before wiping your palm with a leaf that had slowly started to change color before you ripped it off the bush.

"Alright," he nodded before squatting down again. Even if he wasn't completely convinced you weren't hurt - he trusted your judgment about the size or seriousness of the wound.