Chapter 42 | Tearful Truths

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong? I can hear your heart beating a mile and minute. Are you okay?" worried Dylan as he scanned over my body for injuries, taking in my teary eyes.

I shook my head, wiping at my eyes. "It's Matthew. He doesn't remember who I am. He keeps calling me Gia, and he doesn't know who you are either."

Dylan looked taken aback, chewing on the inside of his cheek as he took in my words, placing his hand at the small of my back, leading me down the hall. "Okay, I'll let the doctors know and they can do some more testing. He'll be fine, don't worry."

"I know him and Gia had a thing, so I don't blame him for remembering her name and not mine, but he clearly can't place a face to the name. I'm scared, Dylan."

My mate pulled me to him, burying his face into my neck, soothing me as I cried a few more tears before pulling away, noticing my brother sitting in his wheelchair by the entrance, watching us pitifully, Amelia sneaking in after him, her eyes avoiding mine.

"Hi," I said awkwardly, knowing that Amelia and I had definitely got off on the wrong foot, but knowing I was her future Luna, I wanted to put it behind us.

"I'm glad you're okay, Clara," mumbled Amelia, tucking her dirty blonde hair behind her ear, Jared offering her a quick friendly smile.

"Thank you."

"I just wanted to apologise for my actions," she spoke, peering at her mate who nodded, encouraging her to continue. "I am young and have made a lot of mistakes, but I don't want everyone I come across to hate me anymore."

I sighed, smiling slightly as I released Dylan, making my way over to her, pulling her in for a hug, wrapping my arms around her tightly. She was shocked at first, but soon recovered, engulfing me equally as eagerly.

"I know you're my future Luna, and I want to show you respect, but even if you weren't going to be, I would still want to apologise to you. Jared has taught me things I never knew I needed to learn," she whispered into my shoulder.

I pulled away, wiping at a stray tear that leaked out of her eye. "I'm sorry if I was too harsh at you. I understood your point, I really did, but I was just blinded by the fact that my brother deserved happiness. All I want is for him to be happy."

Amelia nodded, smiling down at my brother as he squeezed her hand reassuringly. "I don't know what's going to happen between us. I don't want to rush into anything, but we are getting to know each other, and starting a clean slate."

I admired how mature Amelia was being, and I knew that meeting Jared had really changed her perspective on things, which I was grateful for.

"I heard our packs are merging," said my brother excitedly, causing me to laugh.

"Yeah, Dylan and I are just trying to figure out where everyone is going to live, but maybe your input could help?" I suggested, raising my eyebrows.

"I would love to visit somewhere new, but I also use this place as my comfort blanket, and I know I would miss it if I had to leave. Sorry if that doesn't help much," laughed Amelia, flashing me a smile.

"It seems you're just as torn as I am," I replied.

"I'm sure whatever decision you make, it'll be in everyone's best interest," reassured Jared, beaming up at me.

"Is Dad finally getting some rest?"

Jared nodded, rolling his eyes. "Yeah, I practically forced him into his room. I was tempted to even slip him some sleeping pills in his coffee this morning, but he eventually agreed to get a bit of rest."