Chapter 33 | Family Reunion

Dylan pulled me to him, wrapping his arms around me, slowly caressing my back as we both watched Jared wheel himself inside.

"Do you think he's going to be okay?" I questioned, sighing.

My mate pursed his lips, cocking his head. "He's handled a lot before."

"Yeah, but I'm just worried this will push him over the edge," I sighed as Dylan kissed my forehead.

"Mates always find their way back to each other at some point."

I shrugged, shaking my head. "I don't know, they've only just met and Amelia is already showing mixed signals. I understand where she's coming from, I really do, I think it's just hard to watch Jared go through this when he doesn't deserve it."

Dylan nodded, leading me back into the party. "Of course it is, he's your brother."

Suddenly, someone loudly cleared their throat in front of me, catching my attention. I gazed up at the incredibly tall and muscular man in front of me, his dark hair flopping down onto his forehead, his face plastered with a smirk.

"New arm candy there, Dylan?" questioned the man, causing me to scowl and my mate to grip my hand, growling.

"What are you doing here, Dean?" spat Dylan, causing Dean to shake his head, gesturing to the atmosphere around him.

"You didn't seriously think I could miss a party, did you, cousin?"

Dylan huffed, shaking his head. "Well, just keep your head low, I don't need any trouble tonight."

Dean scoffed sarcastically, rolling his eyes. "Me? Trouble? Never."

Just as Dylan and I were about to make our way past Dean, he grabbed onto Dylan's bicep, smirking at him.

"You don't want a quick drink with your older cousin for old times sake?"

Dylan chuckled to himself, staring directly into Dean's cold grey eyes. "That's the last thing I want to do right now."

Dylan gripped my hand even harder as he dragged me away, a confused look plastered on my face. "Who is that?"

Dylan growled, running his hands through his hair. "My older cousin, Dean, he's doesn't actually live here, but he visits from time to time as he's technically still in the pack, not that anyone here even wants to see him."

I scrunched up my forehead, gazing back at Dean who was leant against the wall with a beer in hand, keeping to himself, but holding his body in confidence, giving off the impression he was rather happy in his own company.

"What did he do?" I questioned, turning back to Dylan, who was glaring at his cousin from across the room.

"He's just your general jack ass, a selfish bastard who always lets people down, we don't need him here."

"Where does he go when he leaves? Does he have a family?"

Dylan shook his head, raising his eyebrows. "Both of his parents are dead, and he's not on speaking terms with any of his siblings, I don't think he even knows the whereabouts of them; he's a bit of a floater."

I gazed up at my mate, acknowledging his obvious hate for his older cousin, wondering if there was more to the story, but not wanting to ask and ruin the mood.

"I need a drink," said Dylan, making his way over to the nearest table and pouring himself a shot of vodka, gulping it down in a matter of seconds, huffing to himself.

Making my way over to my mate, I rubbed his arm up and down, not enjoying seeing him so stressed. "Hey, don't let him get to you, let's just find Gia, Matthew and Jared and have some fun, I think we all need it."