Chapter 7 | The Arrival

The next morning, I woke up stressed, having had dreams about my mate, wondering when I would see him again. I barely knew him, but the mate bond was pulling me to him, invading all of my thoughts.

I sighed, towel drying my freshly wet hair, slipping on a pair of grey tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie, not feeling like putting any effort in.

I knew the Alpha was arriving today to train the fighters, but it was unlikely that I would bump into him, or that he'd even notice me. He would be spending most of his time on the training ground anyway, a place I liked to steer clear from.

"Clara, the Alpha is arriving! Hurry up!" yelled Gia from downstairs, causing me roll my eyes. I plodded down the stairs to see Gia standing by the door, her hair beautifully curled and her makeup applied perfectly, her pink glossy lips smiling at me.

"Woah, little much don't you think Gia?" I laughed, shaking my head.

Gia folded her arms over her large chest, rising them up slightly, which caused me to chuckle to myself. "Is it a crime to want to look nice Clara?"

"No, no," I said, holding my hands up defensively. "But you do know he's here strictly on business duties right? I doubt he'll have time to mess around with any girls. Plus, we don't even know who he is, he might be like fifty."

"Well, maybe he'll be my mate. I'm not taking the risk of looking like a slob the first time he sees me," snickered Gia, looking me up and down.

"It's called being comfy. I don't look like a slob," I mumbled, squinting my eyes playfully at her. "Why do we have to go and watch him arrive anyway? There's going to be such a big crowd, I bet you won't even be able to see him."

"It's exciting, and I'm bored!" announced Gia, waving her hands up in the air.

I turned around at the noise of Jared's wheelchair, stopping at the fridge as he pulled it open, looking for something to eat.

"Jared, do you want to come see the Alpha arrive?" I asked, causing Jared's face to drop.

"No thanks," he muttered, closing the fridge and quickly wheeling out of the living room.

Gia shrugged, offering me a sad smile. "It was worth a shot."

"Let's just go," I said, shrugging it off, wondering if I had upset Jared even more by asking, but I wanted him to get out of the house, even if it was just for a few minutes.

I quickly pulled on my shoes, following Gia out of the house as she excitedly scurried through the pack grounds, her eyes lighting up with joy once she saw the crowd, located by the entrance to Longline Lake.

"Look how many people are here," I said, startled.

Gia shrugged, beaming at me. "Maybe they're all hoping he's going to be their mate, and, speaking of mates, have you heard from yours?"

I cleared my throat, shaking my head. "No, we didn't even exchange numbers or anything, so I really don't know when we're going to see each other again."

"He's your mate, you'll see him again," encouraged Gia, peering over people as best she could, her tall stature making it a lot easier.

Suddenly, hushed whispers filled the air as a fancy black car made its way through the gates. Everyone kept their distance, staying respectful towards our visitor, not wanting to crowd him.

"Nice car," mumbled a girl behind me, causing her friends to agree, whispering excitedly.

"Thank you everyone for coming to greet our visitor today!" announced Alpha Paul as he exited his office building, dressed in a formal blue suit and tie, his grey hair gelled back neatly. "I'm sure he will feel very welcomed!"