(11) Brian Lukis

🔷 Before you read, please remember votes and comments = more chapters—no votes or asking me to "please update" comments = no chapters. Just follow me so you know I've updated instead of asking me to. Thank you.🔷

❈•≫────≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫────≪•❈

It was the following morning, and Sherlock had printed out all the photographs of the yellow graffiti near Sir William's portrait and across it and had stuck them all around a mirror above the fireplace. Both twins were currently sitting in dining chairs, their backs facing the dining table with nothing but pure concentration as they stared at the pictures, taking in the symbols flashing in their mind eyes, Cora sipping on what must be her third or fourth cup of peppermint tea and Sherlock, as usual, had his fingers steepled under his chin.

That's how John had found them when he came walking in from the flats, landing and dropping his jacket on his armchair. Cora seemed to have noticed his presence and turned her head to offer him a welcoming smile before getting up to take her teacup and saucer into the kitchen.

But her brother, on the other hand, hadn't noticed in the slightest, now speaking still gazing at the photos, "I said, 'Could you pass me a pen?'"

"What? When?" the older man darts his head about the living room, wondering who on Earth the man could be talking to.

"He asked you about an hour ago," Cora tells John from the kitchen, raising her cup and saucer in the sink, hearing him sigh.

"Didn't notice I'd gone out, then," John grabbed a pen from a table beside his armchair as the female Holmes watched him throw the pen at her brother without much glancing in his direction as she reentered the living room. Sherlock grabbed it quickly with his left hand, eyes still glued to the photos.

"I did, but someone was not that interested to notice," Cora comes to stand beside the older blonde who was now looking at the photos, "For the job at that doctor's surgery, wasn't it?"

"Yeah, it was," John nodded, a little pleased that Cora had taken some interest in his life.

"How was it?" Sherlock asked, just now taking an interest, making Cora roll her eyes in disbelief.

"Great. She's great."

"Who?" the female Holmes asked curiously, looking at the older man sideways. But why would something so trivial as another woman interested in John bother her?

"The job," John replied, looking to Cora beside him, who was frowning a little.

"She?" Sherlock glanced in the older man's direction suspiciously for a brief moment.

"...It."

"Here, look at this," Cora cleared her throat and tried not to let the thought of this other woman John had met for his job interview distract her, which it shouldn't. Still, it did as he followed her over to a laptop on the table by the windows, peering over Cora's shoulder, which didn't help much as she opened the 'Online News' website with a news report titled 'Ghostly killer leaves a mystery for police'.

"The 'intruder who can walk through walls,'" John read an expert aloud from the article.

"Happened last night," Sherlock explained, "Journalist shot dead in his flat; doors locked, windows bolted from the inside – the same as Van Coon."

"God. You think..." John moved away from Cora to look at each of his flatmates.

"Which means he's killed another one," the female Holmes added.

❈•≫────≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫────≪•❈

All three take a cab to Scotland Yard, where one Inspector Dimmock is currently sitting at his desk, arms folded rather exasperated as Sherlock Holmes stands the other side of said desk typing into a laptop, "Brian Lukis, freelance journalist. Murdered in his flat..." before turning it to face the other man, "...doors locked from the inside."