Game plan

Christina's POV
My nose twitched and my stomach growled making me groan as I reluctantly sat up to look for the source of the delicious smell. I found a tray with soup, a main entree, and desert all of which was clearly vegan and included a homemade vegan cheese. It smelled delicious and I tried not to noticeably drool.

 It smelled delicious and I tried not to noticeably drool

"Please eat, my queen. The chefs made this especially with you in mind" a feminine childish voice spoke up. I turned my attention to a pair of brunette twins between ages 12 and 13. They seemed nervous around me so I gave them a smile "It looks amazing, thank you" they gave me a timid smile back and nodded.

I reached over to put the tray on my lap only for the male twin to reach over and do it for me "Allow me" he murmured softly and shyly. I shot him a grateful look "Thank you.....what's your name sweetheart?" He seemed flustered by the pet name and he looked at the floor before shyly answering "Alec, my queen" this made me blink before letting out a startled laugh. The twins looked up at me in surprise and seemed even more nervous "Is something wrong, my queen?" Alec asked.

I shook my head "No, no it's just that I always wanted a son named Alec" Alec blinked before asking "Really?" I nodded "I thought that Alec was beautiful and unique" Alec smiled softly at the ground as the female stepped forward and asked "What did you want to name your daughter, my queen?" I chuckled before saying "Don't laugh, but I was always fond of those vintage double first names like Mary Margaret or Eliza Jane" the girl smiled and said "My name is Jane" I blinked "Really?" She nodded "Yes, my queen" I couldn't help but cringe at the title "Please don't call me that. My name is Christina Margaret which has a plethora of nicknames at your disposal."

"I'm afraid I can't allow that, my Pearl" a voice spoke up, I turned my head to see the three kings and Edward and Alice watching the entire situation with amusement. It looked like Aro was the one who spoke. I shook my head and said "I'm not a queen. I'm just some small town girl that got dragged into the supernatural world because of her nosy twin sister" I reached for the spoon and took a bite of my soup. I froze as the urge to moan bubbled up inside and came out making the kings and the twins look at me in surprise and concern while the two Cullen siblings snickered at me. My face flushed and I quickly swallowed my food and cleared my throat.

"It's good soup" I mumbled, before continuing to eat causing the red eyed vampires to sigh in relief before Marcus glided over to my side and sat down "Mia fiore, I don't think that you've quite grasped the gravity of the situation" I stopped eating and shook my head "I have. I know what I am to you, what I will be to the vampire world, but right now I am Christina Margaret Swan the daughter of Sheriff Charlie Swan of Forks, Washington. I need to be that for just a little while longer before I am Queen Christina Margaret Volturi of the vampires" I explained.

Marcus seemed to understand and Aro looked both thoughtful and reluctant, but Caius looked upset. He abruptly stood up and said "No! Absolutely not! We have waited for you for nearly a millennia and I will not risk losing you!" I sighed and pushed the tray to the side before standing up and approaching him. I stood in front of him and looked up at him "You won't lose me. With today's modern communication devices you can call me anytime and we can even see each other from halfway around the world. All I'm asking for is a little more time. I need to tie up some lose strings and I need to make sure that everything is taken care of before I become a vampire and your queen."

Aro's face softened and Caius still looked reluctant as he questioned "How much time?" I sighed "Three years" he bit his lower lip and was about to argue until Marcus stood up and walked over while saying "We already waited a millennia, what's three years? Besides you two need to sort out your 'wives' and it'll give us time to plan out our mate's room and coronation ceremony. Aro, I know you want to throw our little Pearl a ball" this seemed to lessen any protest that they had "Very well, but you must keep in contact and we will be assigning you guards" I nodded thinking that was as good as it could get considering the circumstances.

I returned to my spot on the bed and continued eating as Aro ordered the twins to go round up the guards so that way they could pick out who would watch over me. I paused my eating to bid the two farewell and they bowed to me in response making me shake my head with an affectionate smile blooming on my face before I continued eating.

"Mia fiamma, I hate to interrupt your most needed meal, but there is the matter of your sister" Caius said as he sat by me. I looked up at him in confusion and then looked around the room where everyone looked at me expectantly. It took me a moment to realize that this was my first official degree and it was my choice to either kill my sister, or order her turn. I shook my head and said "This isn't my decision to make."

They went to protest but I held up my hand "Due to my close relationship with the accused it would be inappropriate for me to make any decisions on this matter. Bella needs to be handled like any other case, as if she has no relation to me" I saw Edward and Alice frown in confusion so I elaborated "Bella broke the law all by herself. She should be handled like any other case because if she's not then the Volturi will be seen as lenient towards those who hold value to us when no one is an exception to the law."

They seemed to understand and nodded hesitantly. I turned back to my food and was about to start eating but said "If we bend the rules and make exceptions or excuses then there is no reason for the law to exist in the first place and then the world will be in complete anarchy. Sometimes it's better to be cold and indifferent than compassionate and lenient."