Chapter Seven

Brooke sat on her bed, cross-legged, waiting for Zack to arrive.

"I've never told anyone about Jace," Brooke says. "I just feel like I can trust Zack, though. Maybe finally getting this off my chest will help."

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Brooke got up and answered it. Zack was there, and he looked worried.

"Is everything okay, Brooke?" He asks.

She sighs. "No."

"What's wrong?"

Brooke lets Zack in and closes the door. She walks over to her bed and sits down. Nattie was gone, so Zack sat on her bed.

"Zack..." She pauses. He doesn't say anything, just states intently at her. "I've never told anyone this, okay? So please don't think I'm crazy."

"I could never think you're crazy," He says. "What's going on, Brooke?"

"This is going to be a long story," She warns. "Are you prepared for this?"

"Of course."

Brooke takes a deep breath. "Okay... Well, a few years ago, when I got a call from WWE, I went to Tampa. I wrestled in FCW for about two years. Well, a few months after I got there, I met this guy named Jace. He was great. He was amazing. He was a sweetheart, he was kind. He was everything I looked for in a guy..."

"But?"

"We talked for a little bit, then we started dating. Everything was fine...but one day, he hit me. I was so shocked, I didn't know what to do. He apologized and said it'd never happen again, and I believed him."

"But it happened again..."

"And again. And again." Brooke was holding back tears now. "But I always forgave him, because I thought I was in love and I figured I could change him. Well, I couldn't. And then he got really possessive and jealous. He would start showing up to events - this was after I joined the main roster - and get mad at me for talking to other guys."

"Brooke..."

"Wait, I'm not done yet," She says, tears rolling down her face. "One year, I decided to go on the European Tour, and I was really excited. But Jace didn't want me to go. He tried everything to get me to stay, but I eventually went. When I got home..."

"You don't have to - "

"When I got home," She continues. "He was pissed off. I'd never seen him so mad. Of course, he took it out on me. But then he started throwing things. He broke a bunch of things, and a lot of those things, he broke by hitting me with them. He hit me in the face with a glass bottle and I had to get stitches above my left eye. He broke my arm and I had to stay off TV for a while. It was bad."

"Where is Jace now?" Zack asks.

"I have no idea," She admits. "After that happened, I broke up with him and got a restraining order. I haven't seen him in two years. But..."

"But what?"

Brooke grabbed her phone off the nightstand and found the texts. She handed the phone to Zack. As he read each one, he got angrier and angrier.

"I thought I would feel better, but I just feel like shit now," Brooke says, tears in her eyes, but she forces out a laugh.

"How did he get your number?" Zack asks.

"I have no idea," She says, shaking her head.

"You're staying with me," Zack decides.

"What?"

"I'm not letting you be by yourself when this lunatic is out looking for you," He explains. "You're staying with me. If he even gets near you, I'm killing him."

"Zack..." She says. She looks down at her hands. "You don't have to do that."

"But I am," He says. "You're an amazing girl, and he's the single worst son of a bitch I've ever heard of. You didn't deserve any of what he put you through. I just want you know that not all guys are like Jace."

Brooke looks up and smiles. "Thank you so much."

She gets up and sits next to him, laying her head on his shoulder.

"I don't regret this as much as I thought I would," Brooke says. "Zack makes me feel safe. I have complete faith that he'll protect me from Jace."

The room's door opens and Nattie walks in. When she sees Brooke and Zack, she stops.

"Am I interrupting something?" She asks, laughing.

Brooke lifts her head up. "No, you're okay, Nattie. Zack was just about leave."

"Actually, I'm taking Brooke on a date," Zack says, suddenly.

Brooke looks at Zack, but he just seems confident and not at all regretful.

"Well, I don't want to interrupt you two," Nattie says. "I'll see you guys later."

Zack stands up and offers a hand to Brooke, helping her up. She follows him out of the room and they stop.

"I didn't agree to a date," She says.

"I know, but..."

"I mean, I need to time to wash my face and try to make myself look presentable," She continues.

"Come with me to my room," He says.

***

After washing off her tearstained face, Zack took Brooke to a nearby restaurant. It wasn't fancy, since neither of them were dressed up.

After ordering their food, Brooke spoke up.

"Um, Zack..." She starts. He looks at her. "I just want to thank you for listening. I've never told anybody any of that, and the fact that you listened to all of it... I just really appreciate it."

"I'm glad you told me, honestly," He admits. "If this guy is coming after you, I don't want to be by yourself dealing with him. You need protection, and I'll gladly be your knight in shining armor."

Brooke reached across the table and took Zack's hand, squeezing it.

"Thank you so much," She says.

"This is going to sound weird, but I'm glad Zack exists," Brooke says, smiling. "He's just an amazing person. He gives me hope for humanity."

---

We finally found out who the guy texting Brooke was!

I actually know a guy named Jace, but he's pretty cool, so this one is not based on him.

Be sure to let me know how you liked the chapter by voting and commenting! :)