29

[Chapter twenty-nine]

-Winnie-

"Bring chicken nuggets and fries and cookies. Pick me up at nine."

I had ordered Flynn through the line before he had even gotten the chance to greet me. I knew Octavia was gonna say something to him.

So now here we are, sitting in his car at the lookout, munching on McDonald's.

After a few moments of munching on fries in silence, he turns his head to look at me before speaking. "You know Adonis would never hurt you, right? He's nothing like that puto cabrón."

I let out a dry laugh. "Just because I know Adonis would never hurt me, doesn't mean I can just magically make all my fears disappear. Shit like that doesn't just go away."

"I know that, Winnie." He sighs, shoving a chicken nugget in my mouth. I smack his hand away as he continues. "I'm just saying you can't be afraid of loving people for the rest of your life."

"I don't love him." Not like that. Not yet.

He gives me the side eye before begrudgingly changing his statement. "You can't be afraid of relationships for the rest of your life."

I turn my nose up. "Watch me."

He groans in exasperation, throwing his head back against the seat. "Winnie!"

"Flynn!" I mimic before sinking down slightly in the passenger's seat. "I just–I don't want to get hurt. I don't care if that's some stupid line out of some early two-thousands rom-com. It's true."

Flynn bites the inside of his cheek before reaching over and pulling me into his side as best he can with the gear shift between us, running his hand through my hair. "You know I'm right, Pooh Bear."

"I knowww." I grumble. "I'm just scared."

"I know." He grumbles back. "You get Adonis a birthday present for tomorrow?"

"Yeah!" I exclaim, my mood doing a complete 360. "I had an existential crisis doing it, but I found something I think he'll like."

"I swear to God, if you outshine me–"

"Of course I'm going to outshine you." I snort. "You suck at giving gifts."

"I hate you."

*~*

-Flynn-

It's a nice, sunny Sunday morning and I'm not even fully through his front door before Adonis is yelling at me.

"Winnie and I almost kissed!"

"What?!" I smack my head on the doorframe in my haste to whip around and look at him. "Fuck!"

"Yeah." He nods with pursed lips before pointing at me with an accusatory glare. "But you fucked it up!"

"Me?!"

"Yes, you!" He starts pacing, his arms in the air as I shut the door. "With your, 'did you and Adonis leave me here by myself?!'."

I make a face at the high-pitched tone he uses to mock me. "I do not sound like that–"

"Yes, you do." Braeden's voice comes from the kitchen doorway, nearly scaring me to death. He laughs under his breath at me before nodding his head over at Adonis, who's now rambling to himself. "He's been freaking out for the last two weeks."

We both watch him for a while before I remember what he had told me.

"You and Winnie almost fuckin' kissed?!"