"You've had a thousand years to tell me of Elijah's betrayal," said Klaus sharply. "Why now?"

"Well," replied Aurora, "there's never been a prophetic witch spelling all of our doom until now."

"What do you know of her?"

Aurora smirked. "I know I killed her. My brother told me of her prophecy, but I needed to see her for myself. And what did she show me? The clan Mikaelson destroyed, including my sire. And I believed her. But, a dangerous toy in dangerous hands must be removed, so I poisoned her. And now, I'm going to change the future she saw."

"By turning me against the only brother I have left," Klaus growled.

"The prophecy said that you would fall by friend, by foe, and by family. Have you thought of who that family might be? 'Cause it might just be the one closest to you. How do you know the pattern won't repeat?"

Klaus had narrowed his eyes. "What are you insinuating?"

"Come now, everyone knows that Elijah was infatuated with your wife before you saw her again. What's to say he won't ruin another one of your relationships?" She kept talking, noticing he was growing tense, "What if he were to annihilate you? Replacing you? Your daughter would grow up to call him father." She stood in front of him, smoothing her hands over his chest for a moment before he swatted her arms away. She seemed to have expected this. "I see the mere mention of your wife has made you far more defensive."

"Don't you dare speak of her," snarled Klaus.

"I hardly think that woman holds a candle to me," said Aurora, making it very clear that she was jealous. "Can't you see, Nik? Our love was never meant to end. I have been loyal to you for centuries. That girl was merely your substitute for me. Now I am here, and I—"

"Quiet," he sneered. "You are nothing to me, Aurora. I feel nothing for you. What I want is for you to leave this city."

Her smirk dropped. "What's the matter? Would you like to shoo me out before I can meet that lovely girl you married?" Her lips curled further upward, "It would be a shame if I were made to leave in a rush... people do tend to get clumsy when they aren't being careful. I might accidentally rip her heart out."

She managed to speed out of the building they were in just before Klaus could slam her into the wall and bite her.

Maddy exited the memory, and felt him shaking. "I tried to find her," said Klaus worriedly. "I feared she'd go right for you. Thankfully, by then, you had already returned home. You were safe here, behind the barrier that keeps uninvited vampires out. So long as Freya remains alive, Aurora cannot get you."

She frowned when she realized what he was insinuating. "Am I meant to stay on house arrest, then?"

"I know I cannot command you to remain here," said Klaus. "But I would very much prefer you stay here as often as you can. If you are to leave the house, myself or Elijah will accompany you. Until Aurora, Lucien, and Tristan have been dealt with, you are not safe here. And though I know you don't wish to leave, I'd like to remind you that you may, perhaps, be better off in Mystic Falls with our daughter."

Maddy tried not to look so crestfallen. She knew he was only trying to protect her. "I'm staying here. We need each other. Hope will be okay with my brothers for awhile longer. If I leave and something happens to you..."

"Then you will tell her stories about me," said Klaus.

"No, I can't just do that. I know I used to tell you that if you decided this wasn't for you anymore... that I'd be okay raising her on my own. But the truth is I can't even imagine having to watch her grow up without you by my side. We need you, Nik. And the best way to ensure we can get her back here is to work together. Work efficiently. Splitting the team is a bad idea. So I will stay here. I will continue this fight to protect our family. All I ask in return is that you tell me everything you can about your history with these people. No more secrets. Everything... right now. Why do they hate you all so much?"