I looked up towards his voice but couldn't see him through the ceiling. I could feel him, though. He was somewhere above us.

'I want to talk to him,' Cedric said.

"All right," I replied, turned into a spirit, and flew up, hearing the people in the Hall yelling after me.

Once I was outside, I saw the big, black shadow looming threateningly in the sky, waiting for me.

'I'm here,' Cedric spoke and left my soul. 'Why are you doing this? You were a great man, a just man!'

'Maybe I lied as well,' Cameron replied. 'Maybe I never was what you thought I was.'

'That's bullshit! You were corrupted by evil. We heard the story! Apophis–'

'Enough!' Cameron shouted, and Cedric fell silent. 'I will deal with you later, Starling.'

'What do you want, Cameron?' I asked. 'Why are you here now?'

'Wait for your turn, little boy,' Cameron told me, and looked away from us.

Four big clouds of black dust appeared around him, cornering him from every direction. The peacekeepers appeared from within the clouds, but not alone. They were riding some kind of winged beasts! Like... Like horses, but with paws and lizard's heads! With massive bat wings! I was so shocked and mesmerized by the beasts that I nearly forgot we were in danger.

The peacekeepers were already making their move. The space between them burst out in something that looked like white lightning, and it was so bright I would've had to look away if I was in my human form. I could barely see Cameron in the middle of it. In a blink of an eye, the shadow was surrounded by the electricity, and in another, he was gone. What was left was a small, wooden box floating in the air.

For a brief second, I thought that was it. That Cameron had been successfully bound to the box, after all. I heard my friends shouting my name somewhere below me, and I glanced down. Jaden seemed mad at me.

Get your ass down here right now!

I smiled at him, the relief washing through me.

And then the box let out such a loud crack the entire territory heard it. As I turned to look at it, I could see darkness emanating from it. I could hear Cameron laughing inside it.

'It's not going to hold,' Cedric said, but I had already come to that same conclusion.

Of course it wasn't holding Cameron. Dark lightnings surrounded the box as Cameron kept pushing through the boundaries. All we could do was stare at it.

Useless. I'd have to kill him.

'Yes, please do,' the enemy laughed inside my head. 'You would love to destroy him...'

'No,' I said.

I would not. This was Cedric's lover, after all. A champion who fell victim to corruption. This was not Cameron's fault. The enemy had used his grief to turn him against us.

Another burst of light blinded us all for a brief second as Cameron easily burst out of the box. I heard screaming. It was loud and filled with pain, and for a moment, I had no idea where it was coming from.

The light dimmed down, and I saw Cameron next to the box. Before anyone could do anything, one of the peacekeepers flew close and quickly grabbed the box, then vanished with his beast. My focus was on Cameron. He was silent, his spirit quivering.

He was in pain.

He let out a shivering laugh. He was... shaken?

'That was not... a binding box,' Cameron breathed out, and I suddenly realized his spirit was badly damaged. I could see the purple wounds all over him.