12 • Of Guilt and Pleasures

RANGER's mom woke up on the good side of the bed and declared today will be a great day

RANGER's mom woke up on the good side of the bed and declared today will be a great day. Kara was hoping waking up with pure positivity might influence how today will go. She made a breakfast buffet that will instantly brighten up her son's day. Aside from being a CEO-entrepreneur and newbie vlogger/influencer, she is a caring mother and wife with chef-level skills. Supermom, as Ranger calls her. By 8am, everyone was ready and seated for breakfast.

"Bacon, eggs benedict, waffles, corn soup and chewy brownies for breakfast? Can I stay here forever, tita?!" Lance exclaimed.

"Omg same, please adopt me, tita! I can be your assistant in your vlog." Aria added, already full of energy in the morning.

"Love you, mom. Best breakfast ever." Ranger chimed in. He kissed his mom on the cheek before sitting down.

"We can take our time guys. Winona said she'll be ready in an hour." Aria shared as she was back to being clingy with her BFF.

"Score!" Lance replied with a mouth full.

"My pleasure, my sweethearts." Kara responded. She was glad and relieved the kids were in a better mood already. "Okay, let's take a photo and quick video for my vlog." Kara added, keeping the mood light. Ranger groaned jokingly, Aria was excited while Lance was busy stuffing his face with waffles.

***

"Winona!" Aria cried as soon as they saw Winnie at Starbucks. She told them she'd meet them there instead of fetching her from her grandparents'.

"Hey, girl." Winnie muttered, hugging her best friend back. Winnie's demeanor looked normal but the light in her eyes and the enthusiasm in her voice were faint.

"Hey, Wins." Ranger also greeted, kissing his best friend on the cheek.

"Winnie! I missed you!" Lance eagerly exclaimed, hugging her briefly.

"We'll get the drinks." Ranger offered, grabbing Lance by the neck. He wanted to give the girls some space for a moment. He reckoned Aria wanted it.

"The usual?" Lance asked, his neck stretched weirdly. The girls giggled at their clownish friend and nodded at him.

Upon reaching the counter and waiting for their turn, Ranger stole a glance at their table and the girls were already deep in conversation. Aria was talking through her facial expressions and hand gestures while Winnie was watching her intently. She seemed more amused than emotional. Ranger finally felt like he can breathe again.

Lance noticed Ranger was watching Winnie. If it were a stranger who saw this, they might think Ranger was in love with her. Lance knew better after being friends with them for over 3 years now. It's definitely a platonic relationship like they only consider each other as siblings. Once in a while Lance wonders why they wouldn't just get together but the rest of the times he had concluded why. It's because those two were so alike: affectionate, giving, considerate and angelic. Their relationship would probably look like two people who wouldn't want to burden the other and end up lying or something. They need a significant other who's their total opposite.