Mayor Magnus

Time Skip

Ah debates, aren't they lovely? Honestly, I love arguing with people over matters, no matter how trifling and crucial the matter and now, I was being granted an opportunity that I would not be able to spurn, the chance to dispute in public, with the prospect of becoming mayor coming along with the rewards if I secured victory.

The twins help me put on the mind-control tie, giving me all kinds of advice that I blatantly ignore because I was ready, my mind set on one goal.

"Thank you guys," I interrupt them midway through their little lecture and give them all reassuring smiles, looking back at Casey and nodding at her. I trod to the stage, taking my place in front of the fourth podium along with the other three candidates.

"But what's this? One new candidate has entered the ring!" Shaundra declares in surprise once she sees me waving at the crowd from the stage and I was unsure if she was more shocked by my age, or by my appearance out of the blue. "Kid, are you sure you're in the right place?" Shaundra asks suspiciously, putting a hand over her mic.

I nodded assuredly, my lips curling upwards into a smile. "Yes, I am here to debate the other candidates for a chance at becoming mayor. I believe I do fulfil the conditions required to become this humble town's mayor."

Shandra nodded, her head shifting back in the direction of the other candidates not before I heard Stan's growl and Bud/Gideon's amazed gasp. "Let the debate begin!" All of us take up our rightful positions at our respective podiums at her behest.

"First question. What's your position on axes! Wait, I mean..." Manly Dan squints at his queue card to get a better look. "taxes!" He quickly amended.

"Easy! Taxes are the worst. I propose we stimulate the economy by waging wars on neighbouring cities. We. Have. The cannons." Stan clenched his fist and waved it in front of him, hoping to incite the crowd but to no avail, instead, all he got were jeers instead.

The crowd then stared at me expectantly, waiting for my response. "I think Manly Dan has raised a salient issue. If I were mayor, I'd propose a cut in tax rates to reduce the burden and economic strain it has on the families here because there are many other ways to resuscitate the economy, such as-" I feel something Herculean, powerful, almost like an invisible hand, latching onto my mind and with it, my ability to think and speak my mind. I tried to continue speaking, but my words were nothing, all of them blending into the darkness of my mind.

"I'll save that part for later and I will let the other candidates have their say on the matter," I feel the tenacious grip on my mind receding, my head reeling from the after-effects of mind control, though I did still manage to catch the murmur of approval that spread through the crowd like a wildfire and the nodding of heads amongst the crowd.

Bud, or Gideon, sensing that I was getting along well with the crowd, purses his lips briefly before he attempts to draw their attention to him by dancing. "Friends, friends. Can't you see what's happening on this stage? These politicians are dancing around the issues. Well... I can sing around the issue!" Bud rips his shirt off, revealing an outfit that had the colours of the American flag and starts singing and dancing. As soon as he finishes his weird dance, everyone in the crowd whoops and cheers for him. 'He's lucky that most of these people lack common sense and logic.'

"You may now throw your birdseed!" Shaundra announces, most of the people from the crowd throw their birdseed into Bud's box while the remainder throws their bird seeds into mine. 'You know what, the difference between Bud's birdseed and mine is not too huge, in fact, it's slightly slimmer than expected.'

"And now a quick intermission," Shaundra declares and that was my cue to take my leave. I find myself walking backstage and communicating with the twins and Casey.