Troubled Waters

Time skip

After informing Stan of our little escapade, which suffice to say, did not make him happy, we finally made it to Scuttlebutt Island, by means of Soos' ship. We disembark from the ship and venture into the misty woods, the fog obnubilating the vast expanse of trees. 

"Dude, check it out," Soos covers the word 'Scuttle' from the word Scuttlebutt Island. "Butt Island." 

Mabel does her utmost not to laugh as well but ultimately succumbs to the temptation within her. "Soos, you rapscallion!" 

I try to maintain a straight face but I too, end up laughing at Soos' joke as well.

Mabel turns towards Dipper, gazing at him weirdly.  "Hey, why aren't you laughing? Even Magnus is laughing and he's usually serious. Are you scared?"

"Firstly, I am not always serious, Mabel. Maybe, you should try being serious for once."

"Never!" she shrieks, sticking her tongue out at me.

"Fine, I know can't convince someone as intransigent as you are but Dipper, she's right, lighten up! I think you're just scared of this whole place, aren't you?"

"Pssh! Yeah, right! I'm not.." DIpper answers rather unconvincingly, his voice trailing off mid-sentence.

Mabel swiftly pokes him on the nose, interrupting him mid-sentence, blowing a raspberry at him. "Yeah, you are!" 

"Okay, okay that's enough! You guys have to start acting more maturely!" I interpose, successfully preventing my crazy sister from poking fun at Dipper any further.

Before any of them could respond, a minacious growling sound could be heard in the distance, successfully petrifying all of us.

"Dude, did you guys hear that?" Soos questioned, the fear in his voice evident to all of us.

"Yeah, we, well I most definitely heard that," I confirmed. 

Suddenly, a wild possum appears out of the blue, stole our lantern and scampered away with it into a nearby bush.

"Our lantern! Aww! I can't see anything!" Dipper cries in anger. 

"Duuude, I dunno, man. Maybe this, uh... Maybe this isn't worth it." Soos conceded, his voice fraught with fear and irresolution.

"Not worth it? Guys, imagine what would happen if we got that picture!" Dipper exclaimed excitedly, drifting, slowly but surely, into his own world of imagination.

"Looks like Dipper's in his own world of imagination, nice!" I clap sarcastically, snapping my fingers repeatedly in front of his face to snap him back to the real world, not to wipe him away as a purple titan had done once upon a time.

A few moments later, I notice Dipper smiling to himself, looking like a right lunatic before he counts himself in. "I'm in!" 

"Me too!" Mabel agreed, dashing off with Dipper.

"Wait up!" I cry in surprise and chased after my two exuberant siblings.

"I'm coming too!" Soos shouts, running after us in a bid to catch up to us, which he does eventually manage to do.

The distant growling we heard before grew more and more thunderous with every second that trickled by, indicating that we were getting closer and closer to the monster we yearned to find.

"This is it! This is it!" Dipper whispers in pure joy, struggling to contain himself but eventually manages to retain his sangfroid, ordering us to whip out our cameras. "Everyone, get your cameras ready!"